Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I will teach him to skip count 5's, I will teach him to skip count 5's...

Posted by   + Show Post

*big deep breaths*

I have to stay calm. my frustration will not help. With Cole it seems every time I make a break through in one area, we stumble in the next. Last month it was phonics. While, he's not reading yet, he is getting there. Now, here we are with him crumpling into a puddle of tears for 2 days over learning to count nickles. You know, I can't teach him time, either, because it involves skip counting 5's. aaahhhhhh!!!

Anyone running into stumbling blocks with their kiddos this week?

by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM
Replies (11-20):
Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:44 PM

Try Schoolhouse Rock Multiplication Rock!! You can buy the CD's and some mp3's off of Amazon.

oredeb
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:45 PM

yes i get it!

hand him a bag of m and ms or whatever candy he likes and say count out 15 m and ms in groups of 5 and you can eat them!!! it worked on my kids!hahahahah

Quoting mem82:

yep! He gets the concept. He knows that 2 nickles =10 pennies but he can't count beyond 2 nickles. If I hold out 3 nickles, he's lost. But he can count on his fingers and do the math to fifteen. Does that make sense?

Quoting oredeb:

did you try with groups of fives spread out? like 5 pennies (or whatever your using)in one group, 5 pennies in another group etc,

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I will do that. Do you think they would work for a six year old, 7 in Jan.?

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Try Schoolhouse Rock Multiplication Rock!! You can buy the CD's and some mp3's off of Amazon.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:47 PM

LOL It worked potty training him!

Quoting oredeb:

yes i get it!

hand him a bag of m and ms or whatever candy he likes and say count out 15 m and ms in groups of 5 and you can eat them!!! it worked on my kids!hahahahah

Quoting mem82:

yep! He gets the concept. He knows that 2 nickles =10 pennies but he can't count beyond 2 nickles. If I hold out 3 nickles, he's lost. But he can count on his fingers and do the math to fifteen. Does that make sense?

Quoting oredeb:

did you try with groups of fives spread out? like 5 pennies (or whatever your using)in one group, 5 pennies in another group etc,

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Well, if he is struggling, I'd say he's not ready yet. He's only 7. My 9 year old JUST got the tables down within the last few months because we switched to Math u See. I had tried games, Times Tables the Fun Way, Multiplication Rock, writing out the tables, you name it, I tried it. It wasn't until we started using Math U See this summer, and he learned the "why" behind multiplication, that the lightbulb finally started to go on. I've had to switch ALL of his curriculum to programs that use a multi-sensory approach because that's the way he learns best. He cannot just read something and understand it. He cannot just memorize rote facts. He has to see it, touch it, hear it, etc.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Well, if he is struggling, I'd say he's not ready yet. He's only 7. My 9 year old JUST got the tables down within the last few months because we switched to Math u See. I had tried games, Times Tables the Fun Way, Multiplication Rock, writing out the tables, you name it, I tried it. It wasn't until we started using Math U See this summer, and he learned the "why" behind multiplication, that the lightbulb finally started to go on. I've had to switch ALL of his curriculum to programs that use a multi-sensory approach because that's the way he learns best. He cannot just read something and understand it. He cannot just memorize rote facts. He has to see it, touch it, hear it, etc.

Most kids in the first grade can count money, though, right?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Dec. 6, 2011 at 6:12 PM

A good way to do skip counting of odd and even numbers, twos and fives are games like hop scotch was a favorite.  Another way is for them when it concerns money is to make stacks of five pennies, then trade them each in for a nickle and explain they're the same worth, count each stack by 1's first, then try to do it by 5's with them.  Eventually it'll click, just even going to/from the mailbox counting by 5's with them even helps, they have 5 fingers on one hand having them do it that way too.

Education4kids
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:21 PM

I just taught my nephew this with an desktop app a friend made. It was highly effective and by the end he knew how to skip count! They offer a bunch of lessons like that for free on electrokite.com. You will be able to breathe again!

Bethsunshine
by on Dec. 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Most kids in the first grade can count money, though, right?

Every kid is different. One thing I've learned in the past 4 years of homeschooling is that I have GOT to stop comparing my kids to other kids, and to each other. I suggest you read the book "Lies Homeschooling Moms Believe" by Todd Wilson. It was really convicting the first time I read it, and now I read it at least once every couple of weeks to keep me going.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 6, 2011 at 9:52 PM
We are working on money and time right now as well. Today was by the hour, which she already knows, but the last time I tried explaining minutes she got all flustered. So hopefully once we get to it in the book it will help me teach it to her. This is why I like the "scripted" book. When I don't know how to teach it myself, the boomk tells me what to say. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)