Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone else have just 1 kid and homeschooling

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM
  • 32 Replies

I was just wondering if anyone else had just one kid and was homeschooling. It's a little diferent when you are doing just one kid.

BTW Does it drive you carzy that people think you must not like kids because you have 1 instead of more? I, even this moment, always feel like I have to explain myself, yes i want more kids, no its just not happening. Why do I need to have a conversation with a stranger to justify myself? Why should I discuss my uterus or husbands semen with a complete stranger? ARRRGGGG

by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LostTheSlipper
by Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I have an only that I HS. The hardest part is the whole "socialization" thing. It's one thing if they have siblings, but being an only child, that's the part I worry about most for him, partly because people expect it and partly because he doesn't get to play with kids at home. We're always out and about and I'm always looking for new ways to get him around kids. It keeps us hoppin'.

ummcarter
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 3:57 AM

We're the same. My son does go to his dad's 3 weekends a month and has a hlf sister thats 3 thats always there and a step brother that almost 12 that is sometimes there. But yeah I wish i could afford to put my on in a sport or something so he could get more of that team work thing, lol I was public schooled and the oldest of 3 and none of us enjoy team work as much as working independantly LOL.

Anyway I try to make sure he gets daily play time with other kids but it was a lot harder when the weather was bad and there weren't any kids on the block. Now theres a HUGE family that lives down the block and we both spend a lot of time there. 

I took my son to an after school program a lot last year so he could get play time with kids. It was run by Boys and Girls club at the local community center. I save shopping for week days that way my son can come along. LOL poor kid now he has to because we don't have a car and I hav a bad shoulder so he has to pull the wagon. LOL that counts as PE right?

Danielle163
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:12 AM

I have my DD that I homeschool. Yeah, we have to search out activities for her. She was bullied so bad in ps (K. & first grade) that it has taken me about 18 months to get her to go back to any type of group activity. Things are just starting to get better here. Her self-esteem and confidence really took a hit. We had put her into ps due to the fact that she IS an only child....we wanted her to see other kids daily.

She is getting a much better education at home though....and I know she isn't being bullied.

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:37 AM

I have a friend that homeschooles her daughter that is an only child & what she dose is offers classes to be held in her home (she has a room just for classes) some times it is her teaching the class & sometimes it is someone else but all of it is for her daughter to get around other kids.

I can identify with the nosey people my oldest was an only child for the first 10 yr. of his life & we had people ask why we weren't having more kids a lot. For us though it was that my oldest had a lot of health problems & we didn't think it would be fair to him or any other children.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:51 AM

*hugs* Sorry, I have 4.

ummcarter
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Quoting mem82:

*hugs* Sorry, I have 4.

lol ur cute

Princess48847
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I have just one, and we don't plan on more, but only God knows if that will happen or not. He is only three so we don't have a full-time schooling schedule, we just do what subject works best for us that day. He is very well socialized for his age, he loves being around people and talking to them. We do worry when he gets older about him getting to play with other kids because our community doesn't offer alot of extracurricular activities such as baseball and soccer. We would have to drive to the next town over which is about 45 minutes for anything like that. We do enjoy our time together and he loves it. He has asked about going to ps a few times because both of his grandmothers are teachers. We do go and visit them at school, but as far as an actual interest in attending we will have to wait and see til he is older and understands more. And YES it drives me crazy when people ask if we are having more! And they never like my answer so I just stopped giving them one.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 9, 2011 at 9:28 PM
I used to feel that way when we just had 1. We had no intentions of having more, then hubby played on my heart strings and we had another. But before that, when people would ask if we are trying, I'd say no and get the most awful looks and responses. They would actually tell me I was selfish and hurting my child by not giving them the "best gift in the world, a sibling". I totally would have loved being an only child. Lol ;)

And honestly, I kind of wish we were only homeschooling with one. There is a blog called satorismiles.com and it is amazing. She has one kid, 7 or 8 years old, and she is able to throw herself into it. No distractions from a 2.5 year old on her leg, taking markers and writing on the cat. No morning sickness in the middle of a math lesson...

Okay, I digress. That was totally rambling. But anyway, my only suggestion is to see if there are other HS groups out there, cub scouts, the YMCA, the county parks usually have some awesome programs going on in spring/summer around here as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ummcarter
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Quoting Boobah:

I used to feel that way when we just had 1. We had no intentions of having more, then hubby played on my heart strings and we had another. But before that, when people would ask if we are trying, I'd say no and get the most awful looks and responses. They would actually tell me I was selfish and hurting my child by not giving them the "best gift in the world, a sibling". I totally would have loved being an only child. Lol ;)

And honestly, I kind of wish we were only homeschooling with one. There is a blog called satorismiles.com and it is amazing. She has one kid, 7 or 8 years old, and she is able to throw herself into it. No distractions from a 2.5 year old on her leg, taking markers and writing on the cat. No morning sickness in the middle of a math lesson...

Okay, I digress. That was totally rambling. But anyway, my only suggestion is to see if there are other HS groups out there, cub scouts, the YMCA, the county parks usually have some awesome programs going on in spring/summer around here as well.

LOL Markers on the cat!

I taught a good friends boy for about a month the we all decied it just wasn't working. In my area its WONDERFUL in the summer. SO much going on. Not so much at other times. So summer is our really busy time.  A hard thing fo us is we don't have a car and its a small city, the public transportation is only soso and taking a taxi is out of the question due to the cost.

Homeschoolmom99
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 11:23 PM

I do and I want more my wife and I plan to have one more

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)