Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How Many Hours Do YOU, Mom, spend doing school stuff?

Posted by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM
  • 21 Replies

I am just curious. I have 1 son and spend about 40-50 hours a week on school stuff. Helping my son, planning, gathering resources, researching etc.

by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 10:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Homeschoolmom99
by on Dec. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM

I spend about 2 hours and my roommate does history for an hour and then his tutor does math 3 days a week

ummcarter
by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

I spend about 2 hours and my roommate does history for an hour and then his tutor does math 3 days a week

so about 10 h? or do you also do planning and what not outside of those hours?

bugfree
by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM

About 20 hours a week......I think about 3 hours a day 7 days a week or so. 

somuchlove4U
by Bronze Member on Dec. 10, 2011 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I spend about 20 hours a week teaching Celeste. I don't know how many hours I spend on planning and researching and stuff. 

Homeschoolmom99
by on Dec. 10, 2011 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes i do he is in a charter school but i find books and games for him

Quoting ummcarter:

Quoting Homeschoolmom99:

so about 10 h? or do you also do planning and what not outside of those hours?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gumberly
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:30 AM
We average about 3 hours a day for school 4 days a week right now (12 hours) then I average probably 4 hours or so on planning, finding library books, making copies, and what ever else I need to do to prepare for the next week so probably around 16 hours right now. That number will go up when my twins start doing more school and my older DS moves to higher grades I would imagine.
sew4fun
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Oh lordy it seems about 80 hours a week. I am still struggling with the homeschool thing.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 11, 2011 at 1:09 PM
I take about 2 hours to plan for the following week. Making up assignment sheets for my younger two. They like to check things off as they do them. My 8th grader works pretty much on his own.

I do grammar, spelling and science with the younger two as well. That's about 2 hours a day, 4 days a week. Plus maybe 1-2 hours a day helping with other subjects and reviewing their work.

Do we count time sitting at karate and gymnastics since that is P.E.?

I'd say about 20 hours a week planning, teaching and helping and another 5 hours at sports practices.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2011 at 1:35 PM

This is us, plus 3 hours of homeschool gym aa week and a few random hours of random classes.

Quoting Gumberly:

We average about 3 hours a day for school 4 days a week right now (12 hours) then I average probably 4 hours or so on planning, finding library books, making copies, and what ever else I need to do to prepare for the next week so probably around 16 hours right now. That number will go up when my twins start doing more school and my older DS moves to higher grades I would imagine.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:17 AM
If yo include lesson time, we do 2-3 hours of lessons, and I only do about 1 hour of planning per day (one hour of planning for 2-3 hours, weird). So approx 4 hours a day, times 5 = 20 hours a week. But then we do so many educational things that I don't include kwim?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN