Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling with NO extra money ?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM
  • 42 Replies

Ok so how do you all do it (Homeschool)? I am so stressed out! I keep getting the feeling that I am failing the girls and I am just at a loss with what to do with them .  I know alot of you say to use alot of free printables( and I find great ones just look at my pintrest LOL )  but I have no ink and can not get any so any suggestions ? I have tried the whole copy the worksheet by hand but the girls do not seem to be into that and wont really do them . I just need HELP here LOL I feel like a candle burning at both ends right now. I do not have a set curriculum I have a bunch of random books ( most were given to me or bought at the 99 cent store) I do have a few abeka things but they seem to young for my 5 yo but work great for my 2yo. It is Jo (my 5yo) I am worried about . I know there are things that are cheap but really honestly I have not even been able to get those for her ( not looking for hand outs at all , we will eventually get back on track just looking for advice) She really needs help with phonics and letter sound and sight recognition and just basic math ( number recognition and counting) So any ideas on how to make our little homeschool fun and sucessfull ?

by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM
Can you get leapfroog letter/word factory DVDs at the library? You can get tons of books of course.

Walmart has decent workbooks for your older child, I think up to 3rd grade for about $5.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2011 at 1:37 PM

Flash cards can be homemade for phonics.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 11, 2011 at 1:38 PM

You can view the School House Rock videos on youtube

sew4fun
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 2:16 PM

Oh thanks ! I do make flash cards, our library is very limited. I do have leap frog movies. I have never heard of school house rock I will check that out.

AutumnDreamer
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 2:19 PM

There is so much you can when they are that young, stuff that doesn't cost anything, especially when it comes to math and phonics.

With Math you can use noodles, buttons, toy cars etc.  Make piles of them, and make cards with the number on them and have her match the card with the pile with that amount.

FOr phonics, make cards with words on them and stick them all over the house, and just say them as she sees each thing have her sound them out.

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 10:46 PM
You tube, and see if your library can borrow from another library. Always worth a shot! Mine does, but we live in a bigger city w 3 major universities. FL mama!

Quoting sew4fun:

Oh thanks ! I do make flash cards, our library is very limited. I do have leap frog movies. I have never heard of school house rock I will check that out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 10:48 PM
I also just thought... Do you have any homeschool groups? Whether they are co-ops or support groups. See if any of them have things you can borrow, or trade.

Quoting hottmommi42:

You tube, and see if your library can borrow from another library. Always worth a shot! Mine does, but we live in a bigger city w 3 major universities. FL mama!

Quoting sew4fun:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
utkallie
by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:02 PM
Fractions and measurement can be done through cooking with your daughter. You can use beads, marbles, or cut up straws for addition and subtraction.

I hate printing a lot so I make a lot of my own flashcards, graphs, and games. it does take a bit of extra time to keep it interesting but if it saves money then it's worth it. Do you have a used bookstore where you live? I have found tons of like new workbooks for less than a dollar at ours!
luvthesoap
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Google " Book Samaritain". They give free books to homeschoolers. I have gotten books from them before.  Just send them a letter with the ages of your children, and what subjects you need. fF you ask soon, you should get the books after the holdiays.

Betty in Ky

Shellie1084
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Do you have flash cards? or a dry erase board? You could use cereal as manipulatives for math problems ( 2+5=) Do you have a blank spiral notebook? You could make an alphabet book doing a letter per day. (A-find things in house that start with A and draw them in the book or cut out pictures from magazines of "a" things.) This will tie the letter name and sound together to help her recognize how words are built. Once you have gone through the whole alphabet (get creative with x and other unique letters) then start building words like cat, mat, map, etc.

As you take walks around the neighborhood or drive through town read road signs and talk about the letters on the sign. (Stop, we need to stop, how do we spell stop? ect.)

Hope this helps, we homeschool with little money, we buy our curriculum at tax time for the following school year and make that work for the whole year, we don't have money to buy a lot of extras. That being said, the Dollar Tree has a lot of great school posters/flashcards/stickers and motivational things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)