Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a gifted child whom also is ADHD?

Posted by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:31 PM
  • 14 Replies

So first off I would like to make it very clear that this post is in NO way an attempt to brag about my child's abilities or to start a discussionabout gifted children. I am truely in need of advice from moms whom have been where I am at and might be able to lend some suggestions. All others please feel free to buzz off!

That being said, I am a little unsure about what boat I am in at this moment as my child's educator. See I took my daughter to be tested for dyslexia a few weeks ago because she has been having trouble with writing her letters backwards for a while. Well we went to the doctor and they performed a battery of tests on her, one being and IQ test as well as also screening her for ADD/ADHD. Well we went back on Wed. and got the results. It turns out that she is not dyslexic. What they think that the source of the problem is that she has ADHD and that she probably is just making careless mistakes because of it. This diagnosis was not a surprise to me after I had done some research on the topic and we have opted to try to manage it with therapeutic measures vs. putting her on medication. This was promoted by the doctor who doesn't think that medicine will be necessary for her.

Well long story short, what did surprise me was the results of the IQ test. She is 6 years old and her IQ is 128 (which the doctor informed us puts her in the 99% range of all children her age in the nation). I am thrilled by this news of course, but I do feel faced with a difficult challenge ahead of me. See the doctor informed me that if retested in the future that she could fall between the 122-132 range of intelligence keeping things the way they are now but that if we manage the ADHD that there is no telling how high her IQ may actually be! So I guess what I am trying to get to is this...

Have any of you ever dealt with anything quite like this before? If so, how far and how hard did you push your child? Also, if any of you moms have ADHD children that you have chosen to manage with meds can you give me some tips and pointers on helping my daughter stay calm and focused during class time? A big THANKS ahead of time to you all who reply!

by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:46 AM

My DD was put into the T&G program at school (in Kindergarten) B/F being removed in first grade to be homeschooled. She is on the autism spectrum somewhere (we suspect Aspergers, ADD, ADHD or a combo of both). I actually regret her being tested for the T&G now because it causes problems with learning something new--she thinks she should understand it 100% as the words are coming out of my mouth. I do not push my child at all. As long as she excels at  the grade level that she is suppose to be in (third grade this year), I'm pleased. She is very hyper, very tightly wound, a very sensitive child who happens to be a perfectionist and is way too hard on herself. We just take breaks when she needs them. I want my child to excel academically (which she is), but I also want her to be happy and calm....not stressed out. If she wants to learn something that is above grade level, we will work on it--but only if she wants to. As of right now, my DD is not medicated. 

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM

I have raised and home educated a lot of children.  I had some that were definitely been labeled ADHD but I never took them to a doc or put them on any meds.  I just worked with them.  I too have had one very gifted child.  We only had him tested when he was real little and they said his score was  130.  Never did anything any different with him than the others.  Just let him work at his own pace and follow his interests.  He did graduate a couple yrs early and was taking college classes when he was 16 but I also had 3 other children that graduated early also just because they worked hard at  it.   As far as my child that did have hardly any attention span.  We would work short periods of time then if needed take breaks and let him run and play a bit.  He is now 22 yrs old.

luvthesoap
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 9:55 AM

One of my sons is gited with ADHD. He has alwsys been an overachiever. I just let him work at his own pace, which is always above average compared to his peers. He graduted a year early with a high GPA. I choose to mediciate him, because he just couldn't function without it.. I tried a natural holistic meds  but they didn't work.

Betty in KY

jen2150
by Silver Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:00 AM

I have what I believe to be a very gifted child.  I have never had him tested though.  I recommend the book Educating your gifted child.  My son has all the characteristics of a gifted child.  Just follow his interests and once he learns something move onto something else.  He works at about grade level in writing and the rest of his subjects are about 2 grades ahead.  We are studying physics this year because he asked to learn about it.  My kids have never diagnosed but it does run in my family so they have been.  I found way to focus their energy and they did fine.  Is your daughter hyperactive?  I have mini trampoline in my house just for that reason.  It really helped getting the wiggles out.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Your daughter sounds a lot like my daughter, who is 10 now. She would write numbers/letters backwards and she also would make silly mistakes constantly because of rushing. She's another one who wants to know NOW. I just constantly fed her books, even ones that I thought were too much for her like her reading the 3 Eragon books when she was 7 almost 8. I try to answer every question she puts to me, even if I have to go to another source to find the answers. It's hard keeping up with her mind, and how much she understands. At the same time, I have to remember she's just a kid, no matter how smart she may be. I sometimes found myself, annoyed that she didn't understand something relatively simple, especially in the emotions department but she could make huge leaps of comprehension in other places. It took a little while to train myself to understand that I needed to hold her to the standards I would hold to any other kid her age, even if I thought she should do better.

For dealing with her ADHD, I suggest things like:

Always start off the day with a routine and a good breakfast with protein.

Avoid TV shows that get her excited early in the day.

Get an exercise ball and let her sit on it during school time. By working on balancing on the ball and doing schoolwork, it helps keep their brains engaged on multiple levels.

I would add in stretches or other movements at least every 45 minutes. Sitting can be a lot harder than we grown up think. If we all think back, we had to learn how to sit still for hours, too and it wasn't easy! LOL

oredeb
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

my dd 3 was the same as brendas son, never even told her she was gifted when younger, she worked at her own pace, no medication,  didnt want to go to college, aced the ged and went to work! and just got married a couple weeks ago!

utkallie
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 7:19 PM

We have a Gifted Mothers board here on Cafe Mom. Please join us! http://www.cafemom.com/group/16579

I have a DD 4 who tested extremely high IQ at the age of 3. She has several issues including CAPD and SPD. There are some other issues going on but none of her therapists can quite put their finger on it. I personally think it may be ADHD. My son hasn't been tested but I'm pretty sure he's even higher than his sister. He has Autism, SPD, MERLD and Hyperlexia. I'm hoping to homeschool both of them (hence my reason for being here).

songbird2716
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this
My best advice (from experience) would be let her interests lead. If I'm forcing my daughter into anything, chances are her impulsive behavior will increase and she'll be more easily distracted. If we're doing something she is interested in and genuinely curious about, she soars.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
songbird2716
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM
I'll second this!

Quoting mem82:

Your daughter sounds a lot like my daughter, who is 10 now. She would write numbers/letters backwards and she also would make silly mistakes constantly because of rushing. She's another one who wants to know NOW. I just constantly fed her books, even ones that I thought were too much for her like her reading the 3 Eragon books when she was 7 almost 8. I try to answer every question she puts to me, even if I have to go to another source to find the answers. It's hard keeping up with her mind, and how much she understands. At the same time, I have to remember she's just a kid, no matter how smart she may be. I sometimes found myself, annoyed that she didn't understand something relatively simple, especially in the emotions department but she could make huge leaps of comprehension in other places. It took a little while to train myself to understand that I needed to hold her to the standards I would hold to any other kid her age, even if I thought she should do better.

For dealing with her ADHD, I suggest things like:

Always start off the day with a routine and a good breakfast with protein.

Avoid TV shows that get her excited early in the day.

Get an exercise ball and let her sit on it during school time. By working on balancing on the ball and doing schoolwork, it helps keep their brains engaged on multiple levels.

I would add in stretches or other movements at least every 45 minutes. Sitting can be a lot harder than we grown up think. If we all think back, we had to learn how to sit still for hours, too and it wasn't easy! LOL

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesgal88
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:37 PM

My son has not been diagnosed with ADHD, but he is very hyperactive, but also very bright. We had a teacher recommend medication, but we pretty much told her to buzz off. I commend you on trying to deal with the ADHD without the medication, my friend's son was on it and was like a zombie. No joy whatsoever. I don't know about your daughter, but my son loves math! He excels in it, I think it is because it keeps him busy and he is very involved. Other subjects like language arts frustrate him. He wants my constant attention when he is doing them and it takes him forever!! He gets it, but sometimes pretends not to in order to have one on one with me. (I have three kids i'm homeschooling so it can be very distracting). I tried starting the day with music and dance, then doing a subject he doesnt care for, then doing math, then another subject he doesn't like. We take breaks about every hour. I still have to be on him to keep him focused 100% though. Maybe find a hands on way to learn each subject? That is what i'm going to try next. Some subjects it will be hard though. Good luck! If you find anything that works really well, let me know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)