Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling a gifted child whom also is ADHD?

Posted by   + Show Post

So first off I would like to make it very clear that this post is in NO way an attempt to brag about my child's abilities or to start a discussionabout gifted children. I am truely in need of advice from moms whom have been where I am at and might be able to lend some suggestions. All others please feel free to buzz off!

That being said, I am a little unsure about what boat I am in at this moment as my child's educator. See I took my daughter to be tested for dyslexia a few weeks ago because she has been having trouble with writing her letters backwards for a while. Well we went to the doctor and they performed a battery of tests on her, one being and IQ test as well as also screening her for ADD/ADHD. Well we went back on Wed. and got the results. It turns out that she is not dyslexic. What they think that the source of the problem is that she has ADHD and that she probably is just making careless mistakes because of it. This diagnosis was not a surprise to me after I had done some research on the topic and we have opted to try to manage it with therapeutic measures vs. putting her on medication. This was promoted by the doctor who doesn't think that medicine will be necessary for her.

Well long story short, what did surprise me was the results of the IQ test. She is 6 years old and her IQ is 128 (which the doctor informed us puts her in the 99% range of all children her age in the nation). I am thrilled by this news of course, but I do feel faced with a difficult challenge ahead of me. See the doctor informed me that if retested in the future that she could fall between the 122-132 range of intelligence keeping things the way they are now but that if we manage the ADHD that there is no telling how high her IQ may actually be! So I guess what I am trying to get to is this...

Have any of you ever dealt with anything quite like this before? If so, how far and how hard did you push your child? Also, if any of you moms have ADHD children that you have chosen to manage with meds can you give me some tips and pointers on helping my daughter stay calm and focused during class time? A big THANKS ahead of time to you all who reply!

by on Dec. 11, 2011 at 11:31 PM
Replies (11-14):
jlevins
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:49 PM

thank you guys so much for te support and encouraging words! and songbird- i love the idea of having her balance on an exercise ball i may try that! and to everyone else who gave tips thank you so much! i have picked up several ideals that i will give a shot! thanks again!!!!!!!!!

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 6:29 AM

Yes, for three years now, I home tutor a most delightful gifted child with ADHD. 

• He often walks around the table or his chair as we talk.  I allow this as long as he is able to understand, and respond to what is being discussed. It is important to allow them to release energy if they are to focus
  • If I sense the need, I ask him if he needs to run around the house.  Sometimes he replies, "How about two times".  They know when their energy is just becoming too much to deal with. 
  • Gifted children have an insesiable appetite to learn as long as it is something that interests them.  So flow with this as much as possible.  Unschooling works well with these children.  , but giving them other approaches helps them to develop an understanding of other personalities which will be important later in life.
  • NAGC is an organization for gifted children. 

MlkandCookies
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 6:37 AM

Pretty sure it should be "who also has ADHD"

jlevins
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 2:30 PM

Okay thanks! I always mess that up! My daughter is definately not an object! LOL. Anyways so what was your advice regarding my current situation???

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)