Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Visual Perception

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:05 AM
  • 6 Replies

Just wanted to ask if any of you guyes had an experience with visual perception problems that needed to have therapy.  My second child has this.  She has very good eye sight but she could only read on a K level when in the 3rd grade.  I had to fight to find this out. I homeschooling her and I wanted to have her tested for flipping letters and numbers but they refused telling me that they could only do interventions and changing the curriculum over and over again.  So after ruling out that there was not anything physically wrong the doc had her tested mentally and that is where they found the problem.  In Alaska there is only 1 therapist that does this in all the state. He tested her for 3 hours and found 11 different thing wrong with her long story short I did nothing wrong but never let it go that there was something wrong with her. Now just a year after starting with therapy she is reading above grade level and LOVING READING! I am one proud momma.

by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
utkallie
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 8:49 AM

That is so awesome that she has improved so much. It's incredible what a good mom and therapist can do! My DD has issues with Auditory Perception so her problem lies in what the brain can hear instead of what it can see.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Congrats! I'm glad she was able to overcome those problems. 8) I sometimes take for granted that I live just outside my state's capital and have so many resources with an hour's drive.

oredeb
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:40 AM

yea crystalhend!!!!!! thats the way! stick with what you believe and dont let anyone tell you different!!! yea! your a great mom!

Myrick4pack
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:09 AM
That's great! You should be very proud!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 12, 2011 at 12:06 PM

That is wonderful that she is doing so much better.

crystalhend
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 4:51 PM

The vision therapist told us at the last appointment that she does have some auditory perception problems also that we needed to give smaller verbal bites for her to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN