Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling

Posted by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:19 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hello! My name is Wendy and I recently started homeschooling my 13 and 9year old girls.  I haven't quite figured it all out, but every day gets a bit easier and more comfortable.  If there is anyone out there that has any ideas to help out, I'd greatly appreciate it!

by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:23 AM

welcome wendy!! congratulations on choosing to homeschool your kids!!

theres lots of great moms on here who can give you some ideas!

what grades are you teaching and what curriculums are you using? are the kids happy with homeschooling?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 10:32 AM

Welcome! Congrats on homeschooling. 8)

Did you pull your girls out mid year or did you start homeschooling at the beginning of the school year?

Do you have them in any classes?

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Welcome to the group. Are you planing to deschool or take a break to decompress before jumping in?

mommyminty
by on Dec. 12, 2011 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Hi Wendy!  I also live in houston and just started homeschooling my nine year old girl. I just pulled Isabella out of school last weak and am still trying to get my bearings. :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 12, 2011 at 4:09 PM

Good luck to you!

Quoting mommyminty:

Hi Wendy!  I also live in houston and just started homeschooling my nine year old girl. I just pulled Isabella out of school last weak and am still trying to get my bearings. :)

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:20 AM
houstonmama65
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:38 AM

Hello!  I am not using any set curriculum right now, just finding random things on random sites.  My oldest that is being homeschooled is in 8th grade and my youngest is in 3rd grade.  They seem to be enjoying it, and well, I'm trying to get used to it. 

houstonmama65
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:41 AM

I took them out of public school because my oldest was facing alot of issues.  We had transferred her from one middle school here in Houston, to a charter school, thinking it might help.  She was diagnosed with ADD last year, but I didn't want to put her on meds for two reasons. 1. I don't feel the need to medicate just to get good grades, and 2. I'm not too sure what the future would hold for my daughter put on these drugs.  The school wouldn't help at all, although they said they would.  I haven't gotten them into any co-ops as of yet, we are still trying to work out public school from them.

houstonmama65
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:43 AM

OH, how cool!  What part of Houston are you from?  HISD has some issues they need to work on, don't they?  Good luck and keep in touch, please.

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 8:41 AM

This article has a lot of tips that should help.

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)