Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you plan on homeschooling through high school?

Posted by   + Show Post
I've heard several people say they plan on homeschooling the elementary years, maybe middle school, but then sending the kids to school for high. What are your plans (if all goes well!)?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:48 AM
Replies (21-30):
mrsjones2207
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 8:04 AM

I plan to go all the way throught 12th. My kids what to go to " Home College" lol

bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 9:40 AM

When we began home educating it was permanent.  We were not going back into that mess (PS).  Fourteen of our fifteen have now graduated through our homeschool.  Just one more to go!!  :)

poohbear1183
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Right now, the plan is to homeschool until the first required state test and see what happens

CoSaWy
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I am new to homeschooling this year and it is a big question in my mind since my oldest DD will  be in 9th grade next year. I also have a 4th grader and a 3 year old to school. I am currently researching online high schools and umbrella schools for her next year because I feel the need to have some sort of accreditation for her work and I am worried that if I homeschool alone she will not get that.  This really could be all my fears eating at me and there is still some time left so I guess I can say "only time will tell" but going to school is not an option for us at the moment.

estilofamiliar
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 10:14 AM

I am planning to homeschool all the way too. Don't be scared about HS, now is the time to guide them to be independent learners so  when they get there, they'll be prepared to do it by themselves. The plan is to give them independency and autonomy. Right now that's what I'm doing with my 9 and 7 yrs old and they are already doing it...not completely, but they're in training. I give them a chart that shows them what they have to do every day for that week. They just start doing it in the order they prefer, but I thought them to start with the most difficult and they are understanding why now. Some tasks they have to do it under my supervision to be sure they are doing it correctly, but I let them read it to me and if they don't understand the instructions, they read it again and explain me what they understand by it....then I explain the material if it's new or if I have to refresh it.

They have learned so much more since they are doing it this way. Before they depended on me, now is their responsibility to understand, to do it correctly, to look for the dictionary if they don't understand a word, etc. I lost a  lot of time before thinking that they were not able to do it by themselves. I was so wrong. Now I know they're in the correct path to do school by themselves and they're going to be ok when they get to HS or college. Is not me is them who have to do it.

luvthesoap
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:20 AM

I have 2 in HIgh School right now. They will graduate this year.

Betty in KY

bmw29
by Member on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:22 AM
Try Life of Fred math. ;)

Quoting OneToughMami:

Yes. The one thing I do worry about is the higher level maths that I was not that good at but k12 and other curriculum programs allow you to buy subjects, so if anything I can always try and get a program with a teacher attached

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 12:10 PM

I'm going to look into that...lol...maybe I can learn math too lol

Quoting bmw29:

Try Life of Fred math. ;)

Quoting OneToughMami:

Yes. The one thing I do worry about is the higher level maths that I was not that good at but k12 and other curriculum programs allow you to buy subjects, so if anything I can always try and get a program with a teacher attached

lucsch
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 1:04 PM

Yes, all the way through high school for us!

Gumberly
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:53 PM
As of right now, god willing, we will homeschool all the way through.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)