Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

starting kindergarten and a schedule

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM
  • 2 Replies

I am starting my son in Kindergarten in January. He will be 5 in March. I am wondering what every one does as far as a daily schedule. I am finding that we really need to have some form of a schedule or my son and I go nuts (and don't get anything done). Any suggestions on how to go about it and what to have in the schedule? Thank you! :)

by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
oredeb
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:12 PM

well you could use a lesson plan book, under each day of the week write down what you want to accomplish that day with your child and if you dont get to all of it bring it over to the next day.

math- teach the child to count objects, when he learns that use objects to learn how to add and subtract(they need to see this when first learning math)

handwriting- get some large paper and let child scribble, color, or paint on it! and if you think child is ready to form letters start with his name first letter then the next , then next, use that large paper to help, let child form it with paint brush, with manipulatives, sand, whip cream, chalk, markers crayons or pencil- make it fun!

science - just do some investigating about bugs, insects, plants, dirt, etc,

history- tell child about himself, your family history, do a simple geneology chart(again on large paper) could also do history of town you live in, not to involved stuff

bible (if you do this) leave some verse, good age to start memorization at, learn some songs, read bible stories, see if child can repeat them back(if not thats ok)

music- instruments leaning, simple ones, ones child is interested in, learn songs, beat on sticks, make a drum and beat it, those bean shake thingys, etc

reading- be sure to read to your child all the time! if child is ready for phonics then start with the letter sounds (child doesnt have to know abcs in order to learn sounds) even starting with sounding out name is very helpful, be sure to always be reading to child, and ask child to repeat what he/she heard you read

nature studies- make or buy child and you a notebook you can draw in, can tie this in with science, draw what you see in nature, even if its not the best drawing doesnt matter, Pocketful of pinecones is good book to read for you if your gona do nature study(christian tend with it)or read any of charlotte masons sites great way to honmeschool!

do some arts and crafts

now you can start any time you want but heres a sample of school schedule

monday-

bible( if inclined this way, otherwise leave it out)- pray, sing, memorize etc for about 10 min.

math 9- 9:15

nature study/science- 9:20 - 9:45

handwriting- 9:45- 10:00

history- 10:00- 10:15

music-10:15-10:30

reading/phonics-10:30-11:00

art and crafts-when ever you want! you can take breaks in between times, at your childs age about 2 hours is a good time to spend at it daily. now this is only an example, you dont have to follow times, you can school when ever you want, anyway you want, figure out how your child learns and go for it!  and dont forget to make learning fun! include games! videos! lots of hands on stuff!

orange4agua72
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 1:04 PM

We just started (with my 1st grader, kinder, and preK kids), but what has been working best for us as far as a schedule is using a planner :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)