Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Low Cost Meals- OT

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM
  • 7 Replies

We are really tight budget-wise this month. (we just moved, always expensive). Anyways, we really want to be able to get the kids one gift each so we are cutting corners wherever possible. Anyone have any good ideas on inexpensive meals? We are a family of seven. We have been eating a lot of hot dogs, mac and cheese, spaghetti, etc. Kind of need a new twist... something new. Any ideas?

by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 1:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 13, 2011 at 2:33 PM

Salisbury steak with hamburger patty's

Shepherds pie

Tuna casserole

Chicken spageghtii

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:15 PM

I love rice, and dried beans mostly because they are cheap things that can be bought in bulk and stored for a long time until needed.  I find making large meals when we're tight on money that last for day's works a lot better for our family of 6 then making a meal per night that will last only one meal.  Stews, curries, chili's, spaghetti and casseroles are all great sturdy meals that last awhile.  I usually add more starch/vege's over meat since meat cost more.

I also try to stack the meals together per ingredients, like my stew and shepherds pie will call for the same frozen/fresh vege's and vegetables go bad, curry does also. 

Generally during our hard times I may get the 6lb can of tomato sauce at Sams Club that's under $5 and make spaghetti and chili.  That'll feed all 6 of us for well over a week and will cost under $25.  I may add hot dogs to the chili one night and rice another night to change it up, I do the same with spaghetti; add shredded cheese and bake it or just even adding garlic bread to make it taste different.

I would experiment with this and that.  I have a stuffed pepper recipe that I make in bulk, just takes tomato sauce, rice, ground beef and cheese, I make enough for stuffed peppers one night and then serve it the next night instead of peppers I put chips with it like a dip.  It's cheap and last for 2-3 meals.

I wish you and your family the best of luck this holiday season, we're also cutting down so we can get each child one nice gift, we'll be getting what we can Christmas Eve.

OneToughMami
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Chilli is pretty cheap...you can make some cheap hamburger helper too...get boxed 2 boxes of mac and cheese (store brand is sometimes like 59 cents on sale) and a pound of hamburger. it's fairly tastey, my daughter likes it...soups are also pretty cheap?

Precious333
by Julia on Dec. 13, 2011 at 3:38 PM

bump!

top roman is cheap!

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:42 PM
I feel you! I just bought about 20 lbs of ground beef because it was $1 a pound, and that has to last us all month. One can only eat so much spaghetti. I am a big fan of tater TOT casserole, then use the left over tots with homemade sloppy joes. Use the leftover sloppy Joe mix in chili. I use I think its cooks.com a ton. It has a feature where I can type in whatever ingredient I have and it will make a list if recipes for me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:59 PM

Oh you know what saves some money...meatless meals... :-)

luvthesoap
by on Dec. 14, 2011 at 11:25 AM

Soupbeans & cornbead is a good cheap meal. Mac N Chese with chopped up spam is good too. WE have an Alsdis here. IT's a cheap place o buy grocerires. Do you have one there.

Betty in KY

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)