Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you do for Geography? of the world?

Posted by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM
  • 8 Replies

what do you use, dont use, didnt work, ideas, books etc ages 10-14

by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 4:58 PM

I have an atlas book...a globe...and that's as far as I got with Geography so far...I haven't started much outside of the US.

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:06 PM
I just bought a three year unit study course called galloping the globe. It's a biblical approach, so if you do use that I wouldn't recommend it. But, my son is really enjoying learning about the world in all subject matters. And it uses a lot of 'kids like me' reference points. We love unit studies, it really helps them 'see' how everything is connected in the world.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
oredeb
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:17 PM

got the atlas, the globe good ideas!!!

Quoting OneToughMami:

I have an atlas book...a globe...and that's as far as I got with Geography so far...I haven't started much outside of the US.

oredeb
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:19 PM

ive always wondered about 'galloping the globe' is it a book? do you need to copy things, etc?

so if its like a unit study it has a bit of everything in it, those are fun!

Quoting hottmommi42:

I just bought a three year unit study course called galloping the globe. It's a biblical approach, so if you do use that I wouldn't recommend it. But, my son is really enjoying learning about the world in all subject matters. And it uses a lot of 'kids like me' reference points. We love unit studies, it really helps them 'see' how everything is connected in the world.

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:26 PM
No, that's why I like it! You can if you want to use one book for multiple kids. I have an awesome library here so I was able to borrow most the literature. The only ones I had to hunt for were 'our fathers world' because its kind of old (also written by menonites, so the grammar is exceptional, but theory doctrine is heavy in there. I didn't mind so much for that because I could teach them different religious view points and why we believe what we do).
The whole thing is supposed to be for k-4 but I honestly say its a bit more advanced. If you have a good strong reader its second grade and above. It's been one of the best curricula I have purchased. I got it for like, $30 total. But, if your library is small then the cost does go up.

Quoting oredeb:

ive always wondered about 'galloping the globe' is it a book? do you need to copy things, etc?

Quoting hottmommi42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM
I guess it is one book, but its fun. Good for those who are teaching multiple grade levels too.

Quoting hottmommi42:

No, that's why I like it! You can if you want to use one book for multiple kids. I have an awesome library here so I was able to borrow most the literature. The only ones I had to hunt for were 'our fathers world' because its kind of old (also written by menonites, so the grammar is exceptional, but theory doctrine is heavy in there. I didn't mind so much for that because I could teach them different religious view points and why we believe what we do).

The whole thing is supposed to be for k-4 but I honestly say its a bit more advanced. If you have a good strong reader its second grade and above. It's been one of the best curricula I have purchased. I got it for like, $30 total. But, if your library is small then the cost does go up.

Quoting oredeb:

Quoting hottmommi42:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneToughMami
by on Dec. 13, 2011 at 8:42 PM

haha we needed an upgrade...I had a globe from my mom that still said USSR... -.-

Quoting oredeb:

got the atlas, the globe good ideas!!!

Quoting OneToughMami:

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM
We have a globe, and then we have the united states map for the tag reader. It makes learning about the states fun and she plays games with it. I need to get that back out... :)
We just got a new one of the solar system I have been wanting to play with. Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN