Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

has anyone else done half days?

Posted by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
So I am beginning to plan next years curriculum, and I really want to pull my son from ps. He is in half day k, and academicly is learning nothing, but is having to learn how to interact with kids and is learning to focus which was the only goal I had for him there (hes has add, and there are many things that I cannot teach at home because of it.)
He right now does mostly reading and writing at school (hes leads the other groups because he can read and they cannot!) and after lunch and a good jump around outside we come in and do something for math and/or science.
I really like our routine, and he is really coming out of his shell. He loves going to school for all the fun things, but he likes the close time for learning the hard things.
Has anyone else homeschooled their kids part time, and had their kids in ps the other half? How did you work with your school? Do you feel it was successful? Did you use the schools curriculum, or did you use your own?
Thanks ladies!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Yes, we do half days. I use my own curriculm, also.

If you think about it, kids at school only get 3 hours of schooling, themselves, once you subtract all the time they spend moving 30 kids around.

orange4agua72
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:11 PM

That's kind of how we are working out with my daughter right now. At home we are doing kindergarden and 1st grade stuff with her and she's currently in PS half day pre-school (she's still only 4yo and will be 5 next week, so still YOUNG). 

We only reaally are still sending her to the pre K for socialization, she learns nothing at all there, lol 

Strega
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:12 PM

We do Half Days. We started out this year with Full Days, but Half Days are way more successful for the 3 of us. We do use a Curriculum.

wedding website

PhotobucketFollow Me on Pinterest

hottmommi42
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 4:04 PM
Do you split the day between ps and hs, or just hs? When we were just hs, we were done in two hours tops. But I really like the school he is in, he's just never going to be challenged because of his maturity, they will always keep him back a grade. But he is super smart, just immature. The maturity will come but I am afraid that he will loose the natural intrest he has in learning if I keep him there in full days. If your Lo is in ps, do you use the same curriculum as they do, or did you choose your own?

Quoting Strega:

We do Half Days. We started out this year with Full Days, but Half Days are way more successful for the 3 of us. We do use a Curriculum.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 15, 2011 at 4:20 PM
The majority of schools here dont give you a half day option after kinder. Its all or nothing.

We do have afew charter schools and private schools that do either 2 or 3 days at home and the alternating days they go to school.

Our charter school offeres 1 day per week "classes". DD loves it. She loves "going to school" then again its all hands on fun stuff and there is no homework.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Strega
by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 4:44 PM
Oh, I'm sorry. I think I misunderstood. We Homeschool exclusively and average out to half days. We gave Public School enough of a chance. Our Daughter attended Kindergarten through Second Grade in Public School. She's in 3rd now, bordering on 4th already, and our Son is Kindergarten, nearly into 1st Grade.

Quoting hottmommi42:

Do you split the day between ps and hs, or just hs? When we were just hs, we were done in two hours tops. But I really like the school he is in, he's just never going to be challenged because of his maturity, they will always keep him back a grade. But he is super smart, just immature. The maturity will come but I am afraid that he will loose the natural intrest he has in learning if I keep him there in full days. If your Lo is in ps, do you use the same curriculum as they do, or did you choose your own?

Quoting Strega:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 16, 2011 at 9:42 AM

1/2 days isn't an option here and frankly I wouldn't do it if it was. I don't want my children near the local public schools. I pulled my son out of PS and don't send my DD to PS for several reasons, most of those due to things in the local schools.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN