Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am starting to homeschool my two oldest daughters ( third and second grade) after Christmas vacation! Any words of wisdom?

by on Dec. 15, 2011 at 2:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 16, 2011 at 8:21 PM

I love them & the Dollar section at Target.

Quoting OneToughMami:

We get a lot of stuff there it's awesome...I have some posters there...I am not too sure where they are though now that I am turning around in my chair :-/

Quoting usmom3:

Yes they do.

Quoting OneToughMami:

Dollar Tree...they have amazing stuff :-)

CoSaWy
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 9:21 PM
We are also new to homeschooling this year. I love the site timberdoodle.com, it has everything you need including full year packages. Thier prices are great as well. Good luck!
CoffeeMamaOf5
by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 2:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Awesome ! welcome to this wonderful journey that will bless your kids!!

I see from the posts you are going to do more of a traditional homeschooling method- abeka & my father's world. A few things that I wish someone would have shared with me when we were beginning, years ago ( 5 kids, oldest is nearly 15, down to age 4 ) is to make a decision at the beginning that this is it. No going back. If you give yourself a way out, you will indeed take it when a day comes along that you are feeling overwhelmed and second guessing your decision. We all have great days with a few hairy-ed ones thrown in. It's normal. Also, remember you and your children are not bound to what the world says your homeschool should look like. You do what's best for your family, not what Jane down the street is doing or Susie Q over the hill is doing. Even other homeschooling families can tax and put pressure on others to 'do this or that.' Your family is its own. When the hairy days come, I'd encourage you to put all the 'book learning' aside and go outside for a nature walk or play a game. ( that too is learning in more ways than any old book could ) It can all wait for another day. Nothing has to do done 'right this minute.' Better to enjoy this time and your children then to create a distaste for learning and growing.

~ happy learning!!!!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 18, 2011 at 3:19 PM

Give them time to decompress from school. It's a transition that takes time.

oredeb
by on Dec. 19, 2011 at 11:34 AM

sounds like your gona have a good start, whats helped me is making a lesson plan every week of what i want to accomplish each day, if i dont finish it for that day i just put it on the next day if it pertains, might be a good idea to deschool for a while and see how your girls learn, play some games, read together, .......

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)