Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

your main reasons for Homeschooling?

Posted by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM
  • 41 Replies

Do you have one or two main reasons that made you choose this option?

How did you go about getting started when you did?

Do you have any issues that you encountered and resolved that you would like to share with us?

by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Danielle163
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 1:18 PM

Quoting aneela:

Do you have one or two main reasons that made you choose this option?-------DD was removed 2/3 of the way through first grade due to bullying/social problems.  The longer we homeschool though, I know that she is getting a much better education at home. And the kids (and their parents!) here are just terrible and I know she is missing out on a lot of BS. Her first grade teacher was awful and she had a rotten art teacher as well.

How did you go about getting started when you did?--When I first pulled her out, it was pretty sudden, so I was not prepared.  We just winged it with workbooks and the book What Your First Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. She was not behind in any way and that helped a lot. Then I purchased Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year--How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School. What an excellent resource! It helped give me the confidence to know that I COULD DO THIS!--LOL From  there, I began buying used books off of Amazon (our library is really bad) and building my own home library. I started researching homeschooling, curriculums, etc. I get most of my materials from Rainbow Resource Center in addition to Amazon.

Do you have any issues that you encountered and resolved that you would like to share with us?--Here, where we live, its a very small rural town of 4600 people. The resources/activities are very few. DD doesn't need "socialization".....OMG the S word--LOL,......she's very social---but we have had to make a very pointed effort to put her into activities so she will see other children as there are none living on our block. The only activities here are 4H, girl scouts, dance (if you can afford it) and Awanna (church-related) She doesn't want to go back to GS as the mean girls have already poisoned the troop and the leaders are oblivious to it OR choose to not deal with it. After being removed from ps, she totally withdrew from any outside activities for about 18 months. Just within the last 4-6 months, she has returned to 4H and has begun attending Awanna. So, things are starting to turn around. Her self-esteem and confidence really took a MAJOR hit from the "mean girls" (K. & 1st grade) at the ps. I've come to the conclusion that my DD would not make it through ps unscathed. She's somewhere on the spectrum and is very passive and has trouble standing up for herself.  It's a work in progress right now (her assertiveness). I've signed on for the long haul with homeschooling and that's cool because I missed my DD terribly when she was in school. Now I know she's not being harassed/bullied and academically she is soaring. We just keep moving forward. Good luck to you.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 17, 2011 at 1:42 PM

thank you so much for sharing your experiences! its terrible with the bullies out there and worrying about our kids when they go to school and if they are ok or not...

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting aneela:

Do you have one or two main reasons that made you choose this option?-------DD was removed 2/3 of the way through first grade due to bullying/social problems.  The longer we homeschool though, I know that she is getting a much better education at home. And the kids (and their parents!) here are just terrible and I know she is missing out on a lot of BS. Her first grade teacher was awful and she had a rotten art teacher as well.

How did you go about getting started when you did?--When I first pulled her out, it was pretty sudden, so I was not prepared.  We just winged it with workbooks and the book What Your First Grader Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr. She was not behind in any way and that helped a lot. Then I purchased Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year--How to Design a Homeschool Curriculum From Preschool Through High School. What an excellent resource! It helped give me the confidence to know that I COULD DO THIS!--LOL From  there, I began buying used books off of Amazon (our library is really bad) and building my own home library. I started researching homeschooling, curriculums, etc. I get most of my materials from Rainbow Resource Center in addition to Amazon.

Do you have any issues that you encountered and resolved that you would like to share with us?--Here, where we live, its a very small rural town of 4600 people. The resources/activities are very few. DD doesn't need "socialization".....OMG the S word--LOL,......she's very social---but we have had to make a very pointed effort to put her into activities so she will see other children as there are none living on our block. The only activities here are 4H, girl scouts, dance (if you can afford it) and Awanna (church-related) She doesn't want to go back to GS as the mean girls have already poisoned the troop and the leaders are oblivious to it OR choose to not deal with it. After being removed from ps, she totally withdrew from any outside activities for about 18 months. Just within the last 4-6 months, she has returned to 4H and has begun attending Awanna. So, things are starting to turn around. Her self-esteem and confidence really took a MAJOR hit from the "mean girls" (K. & 1st grade) at the ps. I've come to the conclusion that my DD would not make it through ps unscathed. She's somewhere on the spectrum and is very passive and has trouble standing up for herself.  It's a work in progress right now (her assertiveness). I've signed on for the long haul with homeschooling and that's cool because I missed my DD terribly when she was in school. Now I know she's not being harassed/bullied and academically she is soaring. We just keep moving forward. Good luck to you.

Danielle163
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Quoting aneela:

thank you so much for sharing your experiences! its terrible with the bullies out there and worrying about our kids when they go to school and if they are ok or not...

Quoting Danielle163:

Quoting aneela:

Hey, no problem aneela. Yes, it is terrible about the bullies, bad teachers (I know they are not ALL bad though), is my child safe in the building, etc. We have even had bomb threats here at the high school. It just makes you wonder where it is all going to end. They just implemented a new bullying policy here for the middle & high school. Hopefully they will enforce it. It's too bad though that they don't realize they need a new one for the elementary school as well.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 17, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Exactly...i agree with you 100% not all teachers are in it for the wrong reasons or not good...i personally know a couple ladies who are lovely people...dont know everything about how they are in class but id say pretty good..then i have had my experience with this preschool that my son was in..and they were straight out telling me lies to my face and trying to cover their butts about the bully they are protecting in there class. it being a private preschool...im gonna have to dig to see where to make a report on them...cause they should not get away with what they have done and are still doing.

Quoting Danielle163:

Hey, no problem aneela. Yes, it is terrible about the bullies, bad teachers (I know they are not ALL bad though), is my child safe in the building, etc. We have even had bomb threats here at the high school. It just makes you wonder where it is all going to end. They just implemented a new bullying policy here for the middle & high school. Hopefully they will enforce it. It's too bad though that they don't realize they need a new one for the elementary school as well.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 17, 2011 at 3:40 PM
We pulled DS2 at the end of his 1st grade year. He has adhd and the schools refused to help him until he failed. Because I worked with him 2 hours each night to keep himat grade level, the school said he scores too high to qualify for tutoring or assistance. Then the teacher started bullying him. I did medicate him but if he had a bad dy she would make comments about him being stupid or ask, "You sure you had your pill today? Cuz you need it" it made him feel like crap. He would cry and ask,"Why did God make me stupid?" We will not go into all the other issues....

My older DS got beat up on the bus once, that I knew of. Once I nnounced Sean wasn't going back he begged to homeschool too. He admitted he was bet uup 3 times and constantly called names and being picked on.

The first year we worked through Independant study at a local district. Itwas advertised as "homeschooling with support" but it was awful. They demanded so much work, gave strict lesson plans. The kids and I were stressed. Uggg....

Then I found the Charter school we now use. They give me complete choice on curriculum, minimal reporting. It is so much better. We are thrilled with it. Its been 3 years and the kids are all thriving. DS2 was very traumatised by his experience and just this semester agreed to take an art class at the learning center. Its a step in the right direction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 17, 2011 at 4:59 PM

im so sorry to hear your kids experience...it really breaks my heart...my son is only 5 but I can tell that he may need that extra attention from a teacher which he was not getting at the preschool we had him in (expensive and christian and protecting a bully) and we are christian so i was very let down by my own experience...and to keep hearing these stories of how the kids get bullied and beat up...just makes me even more determined to HS and protect him ..

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

We pulled DS2 at the end of his 1st grade year. He has adhd and the schools refused to help him until he failed. Because I worked with him 2 hours each night to keep himat grade level, the school said he scores too high to qualify for tutoring or assistance. Then the teacher started bullying him. I did medicate him but if he had a bad dy she would make comments about him being stupid or ask, "You sure you had your pill today? Cuz you need it" it made him feel like crap. He would cry and ask,"Why did God make me stupid?" We will not go into all the other issues....

My older DS got beat up on the bus once, that I knew of. Once I nnounced Sean wasn't going back he begged to homeschool too. He admitted he was bet uup 3 times and constantly called names and being picked on.

The first year we worked through Independant study at a local district. Itwas advertised as "homeschooling with support" but it was awful. They demanded so much work, gave strict lesson plans. The kids and I were stressed. Uggg....

Then I found the Charter school we now use. They give me complete choice on curriculum, minimal reporting. It is so much better. We are thrilled with it. Its been 3 years and the kids are all thriving. DS2 was very traumatised by his experience and just this semester agreed to take an art class at the learning center. Its a step in the right direction.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:00 PM

were you ever able to report the teacher's conduct?

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

YaHuWaHismyall
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Quoting aneela:

Do you have one or two main reasons that made you choose this  option? 

The area we moved to has terrible schools so we decided to Homeschool, now we will continue to homeschool even if (Yah wills of course) we move because of our faith. We are using a public school curriculum, which isn't my first choice but i am at least allowed to look over the teaching material & alter the stuff as I see fit.

How did you go about getting started when you did? 

Well, I've had plenty of experience with homeschool as I've done it before but this time we were in a difficult financial position & I decided to go through the school district  because record keeping is such a pain in the rear end. Keeping up with all the states requirments for records & assessments so I just contacted the virtual school department at the local school district & they go through Calvert School in Maryland & have a teacher that keeps up with all of dd's grading, assessments & they do the record keeping.

Do you have any issues that you encountered and resolved that you would like to share with us?

Keeping up with the district's schedule when I feel bad is an issue lately but my dh has been a tremendous help. He watches our toddler while I do core work & then in the evening he will do math with her.

Angela_O
by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 6:21 PM

I have a few reasons for wanting to homeschool.

1) tired of uniforms!

2) tired of struggling with my youngest to get motivated early in the morning when he just plain isn't a morning person.

3) tired of parent/teacher conferences and signing title 1 compacts.

4) tired of signing daily agendas 

5) tired of yearly filling out contact information forms (2 - double sided per child!) and them losing at least one of those and asking me to fill them out again!

6) I want my kids to be able to learn what they want at their own pace and not to be hindered by other children not learning as fast. 

7) tired of tardy passes when we miss the bus.

8) tired of missing school for dr appts and such and forgetting dr notes to get them to be excused.

9) tired of my son/daughter missing class on a test day and the teacher not allowing them to make up the test for weeks on end and lowering their grade due to their laxity. 

10) I HATE FCATS! my kids always pass high but this is not a test that really tells what they are learning! Then they focus on it the entire year. Heck even teachers hate it..lol

There are more reasons, but I think 10 is enough =) My kids have phone numbers to their friends and they are also friends on facebook, they will be in 4H and honestly they are excited about doing this.  We will be taking them out of public school on Jan 13 at the end of the semester.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 17, 2011 at 7:20 PM

wow girl...sounds like you definitely needed to make a change...very happy you have the option to do this for your kids!! where do you all live?

Quoting Angela_O:

I have a few reasons for wanting to homeschool.

1) tired of uniforms!

2) tired of struggling with my youngest to get motivated early in the morning when he just plain isn't a morning person.

3) tired of parent/teacher conferences and signing title 1 compacts.

4) tired of signing daily agendas 

5) tired of yearly filling out contact information forms (2 - double sided per child!) and them losing at least one of those and asking me to fill them out again!

6) I want my kids to be able to learn what they want at their own pace and not to be hindered by other children not learning as fast. 

7) tired of tardy passes when we miss the bus.

8) tired of missing school for dr appts and such and forgetting dr notes to get them to be excused.

9) tired of my son/daughter missing class on a test day and the teacher not allowing them to make up the test for weeks on end and lowering their grade due to their laxity. 

10) I HATE FCATS! my kids always pass high but this is not a test that really tells what they are learning! Then they focus on it the entire year. Heck even teachers hate it..lol

There are more reasons, but I think 10 is enough =) My kids have phone numbers to their friends and they are also friends on facebook, they will be in 4H and honestly they are excited about doing this.  We will be taking them out of public school on Jan 13 at the end of the semester.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN