Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

your main reasons for Homeschooling?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you have one or two main reasons that made you choose this option?

How did you go about getting started when you did?

Do you have any issues that you encountered and resolved that you would like to share with us?

by on Dec. 17, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Replies (41-41):
TinaAnnB
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 10:49 PM

We had moved to another state and when we went to get my son into school where we moved to it was going to be hard to get everything that we needed to get him into the new school. Our truck was still saying the county we was from so I would have had to get that fixed and then call and get my uncle to do somethings to help because we moved into my grandmothers house(she passed away last year) and everything is still in her name. I didnt want to bother him at work or have him take time off for it either. Plus last year in PS, he was having trouble and needed some one-on-one with some thhings that he was having trouble with and they wouldnt help him. We was doing some work during the summer by a workbook just to keep him up to speed because he has ADHD and when we moved we talked about it with myself, my hubby and my mother(who has homeschooled before) We all felt it was the right thing to do even if we just do it for one year. He is in the 1st grade and I made all the calls that I had to make and did what I had to do to get him able to homeschool this year.  We dont follow really anything online. We do workbooks that we get at the dollar tree, dollar general, family dollar and I print things out for him. He loves math and he is doing so much better then he was doing this time last year. He still plays with kids everyday that live on our street and whenever we go to the store we turn it into a math lesson. He has a Vtech Mobigo he got for his birthday and he plays on it for about an hour day for school work, which gets his math, spelling, reading and more on it and then we do some worksheets, watch some history channel and other dvds from the library. we make weekly trips to the library for books to read for the next week and they have some that are level ready. We get him Level 1. He is so much smarter with being homeschooled because he get the one-on-one with us and my hubby does his music lessons, i do everything else and my mom helps some times with some things and helps with ideas on new things to try and we do arts and crafts everyweek. then his PE time is when he is outside playing with his friends.

The only issues that we had with it was that my family(mydad and sister) was not to happy about us doing homeschooling and my dad still asks me if I am going to put him back in PS school after christmas break or next year. I have asked my  son if he wants to go back to PS and he says no and that he is happy with homschooling. i dont know if i am going to homeschool him next year or go to PS. He goes 4 hours a day vs 8 hours and he may do a little more then his friends do but he likes it and wants to do and gets it done in no time. he gets to play with his baby brother everyday on his little breaks and there are times that he doesnt do school work but the day before or the next day he does a little more. Plus with doctor visits, I can get him in during the day when most kids are at school and not be in the office for hours waiting.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN