Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

HELP! I think Im Turning Into an Unschooler!

Posted by   + Show Post

So we have always been homeschoolers. I knew i wanted to homeschool before I know I was going to marry my son's father.

Well last year, if in public school grade kindergraten, we began to homeschool seriously. Since 2 years I have been teaching my son, on purpose, achedmic things.

He is now 7. We started homeschooling this year on August 1st. We were having school at home.The month before last my son became impossible. Part of it was this and part of it was that but no matter the reasons I just couldn't go on like that any longer. I was so frustraited and so was he.

November we took a whole week off and I can up with a new stratigy, imitation Robinson Curriculum. He did ok but of the newness wore off he wasn't enjoying himself any more. Some how it devolved into me telling him "Go pick something, other than comic books."

I taught him to read and the foundation was very hard won. He and I both were yelling at eachother crying and frustraited because he was bored and didn't want to sit still. Now he is a HUGE book worm. He love love loves to read. If you ask him what is his favorite thing to do he will tell you, read.

I see how much easier life is but I wonder about *gasp* gaps and if maybe I am just wimping out. I MADE him learn to read and he loves it now. Do I need to MAKE him do all the other stuff? He doesn't hate achedemic stuff but he doesn't really want to stretch him mind. He like to be entertained, so do I.

He is an only child so its not like I can say thats ok he will pick stuff up from an older sibling or teach you little brother how to because he hasn't got them.

There aren't co ops here so thats not an option either. We go to a play group weekly, well almost weekly. He has friends. I wish there was other kids like him that he could meet up with online, maybe voice chat to work on a project together.

If I MAKE him do things we are misserable but he does learn. If I don't I wonder if he will learn as much.

by on Dec. 18, 2011 at 6:07 AM
Replies (11-15):
ummcarter
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 6:15 AM

Yesterday we learned about the Human skeleton. We hopped a few blocks over the local high school and cheked out a life size skeleton model. The teacher mentioned that the school has classes that are college accreditied and kids can get their CNA. Nice to know.

I don't think we'll do high school probably take college courses as soon as he is ready but it's nice to know.

Things like 4H sound great but we literally have no extra money to pay for them. I use food budget to pay for school stuff. And we don't have a car so if we can't walk there it nearly always can't happen.

If we could I'd have him in a sport and art classes at a local Arts center/ Very cool place. But we're just not there financialy so we do what we can.

oredeb
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

oh fun, i love the human skeleton for lessons! hey you could have your own art lessons! invite others to come!

Quoting ummcarter:

Yesterday we learned about the Human skeleton. We hopped a few blocks over the local high school and cheked out a life size skeleton model. The teacher mentioned that the school has classes that are college accreditied and kids can get their CNA. Nice to know.

I don't think we'll do high school probably take college courses as soon as he is ready but it's nice to know.

Things like 4H sound great but we literally have no extra money to pay for them. I use food budget to pay for school stuff. And we don't have a car so if we can't walk there it nearly always can't happen.

If we could I'd have him in a sport and art classes at a local Arts center/ Very cool place. But we're just not there financialy so we do what we can.

DrJChappell
by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:48 PM

I am leaning that way, too, lately. It just doesn't seem worth the struggle to make them do things they don't want to do. Luckily, they are drawn to lots of things that encompass different areas. State laws say we have to do certain subjects, but it all works out in the end. I love it when they do things that hit more than one area. DS13 made oobleck this week - that's science and math! :) Maybe find entertaining things that he would learn things from, but not really realize he's learning? Playing games, watching DVDs or TV shows, educational toys or video games? Maybe ask him to read different things than he's used to reading? DS12 is like that with reading, so every now and again, I ask him to read something besides fantasy fiction. He found that he likes books with trivia, like Ripley's Believe It or Not and the Guiness Book of World Records.

mommaof1297
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 1:17 AM

We are unschooling only b/c no cirriculum works with shaking down to the nitty gritty of what they know and do not know. Like somehow my 6th grader made it all the way to 6th grade with barely knowing multiplication and fractions. Meanwhile my 3rd grader made it to 3rd grade without reading but doing math at an almost 5th grade level and my 1st grade same thing no reading or writing skills but tons of math.

o get the 3rd grader to read he spends 30 to 45 minutes a day how ever he choices to break it up reading what ever interests him. Since April with tears at the thought of having to enter a library to now he has read fabout ghosts, to the human body, to lego, to recipies to comic books. The main thing is he is reading. My 6th grader has played multiplication games with her younger brother and just mmoved into fractions with him. Again lots of doubleing and tripling recipies thank god its cookie seasonlol. And my 1st grader invents her own story but finally the other day sat down and read dick and Jane to me non memorized b/c O kust took it out of the Barnes and Noble bag so she had never read or seen it before to memorize the book.

At times they will spend the day place Dance Dance Party on the Xbox and have taught the youngest how to tell time b/c they rotate with 15 minute intervals. Are they exactly where they should be according to NJ Standards I have no clue but they are all progressing and thriving and balanceing out

Plainswoman
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:34 AM

Another term for unschooling, which we've been doing with our 15-year-old son since he was 10, is "child-led learning."  Your child is already leading you away from "making him" do "school at home" because it is quite unnatural, especially for a 7-year-old boy, to sit still as well as to be forced to do things a certain way. I'm sure you'd agree he is a unique individual and has interests that are different from his peers--celebrate that!

We've discovered there is no such thing as "getting behind" or having "gaps."  A unique child (which all children are) should not be measured against other kids and some temporary standard of where they "should be" at a certain age.  These "standards" are all human-created and are really not a reflection of anything but the opinions of the people who created them.  

And if your son loves to read, you've already opened the world to him far more than any prescribed curriculum ever could.  In our case, our son doesn't read books but voraciously "reads" all kinds of other material online and in the world that interests him.  And incidentally, he is breezing through the GED preparation workbook without ever being "made to" learn the things in it--plus he knows much more about most of the subjects that are in the book, just from being curious and alert in the world.  Good luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN