Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What does your daily schedule's look like?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 4:34 AM
  • 9 Replies

One of the reasons I am nervous to start homeschooling is that I am very laid back, not overly organized and can be a bit of a procrastinator. So, I have to have some type of schedule in place to keep us on track. I have been working on one the past couple of days, here is what it looks like right now....

8am : Breakfast....I plan on doing a cooking lesson here. I found an awesome website: http://www.nutritioninteractive.com Great way to teach reading and following directions, measurements and safety!

8:30 : Clean up/brush teeth/get dressed

9am : Addison's (preK) circle time (Days of the week, weather, sing songs)

During this time my 5th graders can work on their morning worksheets (1 Math, 1 Spelling)

9:30 : Addison's morning worksheets (trace and color shapes, letters/numbers, cutting practice)

During this time the boys can work on their Time4learning curriculum

10:30 : Snack/Read aloud...during snack I will read to the kids...thinking something like fun educational history books

11am...I *think* this is around the time the boys will go to specials at the school. If so, I will use this time to run any errands with Addison, go to the library or other things.

After specials we can work on the boys' writing assignment. I want to do the daily journal and some days will do writing prompts and some days free writing. On days that we have had field trips we will do a letter to the grandparents and on days that they finish their books they are reading for silent reading they can do a book report.

During this time I can do a craft with Addison.

The rest of the day will be free, then after dinner they can read 20 minutes in whatever chapter book they are reading.

Please feel free to give opinions on this and share what your schedules normally look like. Thanks:0)

by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 4:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
oredeb
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:39 AM

looks like a good one to me!!  we always did chores, ate before 9 also, and then started with schooling stuff at 9

bible- 9

math, lang arts -9 something - about 10:45 or so

then unit study till about 1 which includes science, history, art, writing, reading, music, etc

free time, lunch, chores

5 help with dinner

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:37 AM

We don't a set schedule, yet. Nikki is just starting to fall into one so I can start building mine around it.

DrJChappell
by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:34 PM

We're really laidback, too. It really depends on what the kids choose to do that day. DS13 doesn't start until 11:30 (his choice) and ends about 4:00. DS12 & DD8 start at 10:00 and end about 2:00. We try to get at least 15 minutes outside every day. DS13 does lots of science - working with circuits and electricity, chemistry, and is doing conditioning for football. DS12 practices clarinet, is cooking his way through the unofficial Harry Potter cookbook, does creative writing for contests, and is studying mythology. DD8 is working on addition, writes letters to her penpal, works in her 2nd grade workbook and takes drama classes on Monday afternoons. The younger two are doing world religions.

They are all into astronomy and space exploration, geography, human biology, American history. They read every day. I try to include classical music each day, too - we like to listen to Rhapsody's classical music stations while we work on other things and play games on the computer or educational board games. Field trips are generally twice? a week - at least once to the library and one somewhere else. I'd like to do more cooking, crafts, community service and puzzles with them.

I would like to do more traveling. I want to go to Europe and am thinking about starting them in either French or Italian. DD12 did some Italian last year and DD8 is intense about Spanish. We are going to Universal (Harry Potter) and Disney next week, but they don't know about it yet!

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:19 PM

We don't really have one beyond wake up, eat & get dressed!

101stwife
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 3:06 AM

Wow! That sounds amazing!! My youngest son is very interested in cooking so I plan to include cooking lessons in the morning. He also wants to learn how to play the guitar, however since we live in Germany it is hard to find lessons. I love that you start later in the day, that might be something we end up doing too since both of my 5th graders aren't morning people (my 8th grader is up by 5am - even on the weekends - and in bed by 9pm lol).

They all love Science and anything to do with Space. What do you do to learn about that? Do you use a curriculum or do it independantly?

Quoting DrJChappell:

We're really laidback, too. It really depends on what the kids choose to do that day. DS13 doesn't start until 11:30 (his choice) and ends about 4:00. DS12 & DD8 start at 10:00 and end about 2:00. We try to get at least 15 minutes outside every day. DS13 does lots of science - working with circuits and electricity, chemistry, and is doing conditioning for football. DS12 practices clarinet, is cooking his way through the unofficial Harry Potter cookbook, does creative writing for contests, and is studying mythology. DD8 is working on addition, writes letters to her penpal, works in her 2nd grade workbook and takes drama classes on Monday afternoons. The younger two are doing world religions.

They are all into astronomy and space exploration, geography, human biology, American history. They read every day. I try to include classical music each day, too - we like to listen to Rhapsody's classical music stations while we work on other things and play games on the computer or educational board games. Field trips are generally twice? a week - at least once to the library and one somewhere else. I'd like to do more cooking, crafts, community service and puzzles with them.

I would like to do more traveling. I want to go to Europe and am thinking about starting them in either French or Italian. DD12 did some Italian last year and DD8 is intense about Spanish. We are going to Universal (Harry Potter) and Disney next week, but they don't know about it yet!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:17 AM

we will be starting HS next year and will work out and tweak a schedule for school stuff...but i plan on not more than one hour per day..unless he wants to do more...for K

Danielle163
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

DD is in third grade this year. She is a total nightowl and we usually start school around 12:00 noon. We do our first class period, everything related to language arts (spelling, reading comp, vocabulary, writing, cursive practice,poetry,dictionary skills,etc). This lasts usually 45-55 minutes. Then we usually take a 30-45 minute break. Come back and do second class period--math. This lasts 45-55 minutes. Then we take a 30 minute break. Last class period is History, Science, Maps,Charts, & Graphs workbook, Latin/Spanish on certain days. We usually end up doing around a 2 1/2 hour day on average.....sometimes a little longer, it varies. I'm adding in a few changes for the new year, so our schedule will evolve again.

DrJChappell
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM

I found that my oldest son is interested in cooking, but he prefers to do it on the grill! It was hard to let him do the whole open-flame thing, but he makes a darn good rack of ribs! DS12 didn't want to learn to cook until he chose the cookbook. That has made all the difference in the world.

I asked the kids if they could choose when they start school, what would they choose? I asked them about their own calendar, too. The state requires that we do 4.5 hours a day, 180 days a year. DS13 wanted to get it done for the year, so he chose short vacation breaks and he's done before Christmas break. DS12 wanted to take long vacations, but I had to shorten summer break to get the days in. He also chose to take Wednesdays off. DD8 wanted long vacations, too, but we had to shorten summer break for her, too.

For science, we use a lot of things. I've tried curriculum, but it doesn't really hold their attention. DS13 has asked for an online curriculum next year - we'll see. Not a lot of money to spend on that, and he has his sights set on the University of Alabama for college, so we'll have to start keeping track of units. We use library books, netflix dvds and streaming, lots of experiments and experiment kits from amazon. DS13 did three experiments on Tuesday: he made oobleck & made a "lava lamp" without the light part (chemistry) and assembled an FM radio using a Snap Circuits set. We went to the Space Science Center, too, and watched Apollo 13 on dvd the next morning. We go outside and look at the stars at night and watch the sunrises in the morning. I'm working on becoming an urban homesteader and I ask them to help me with that, too. (We're making a worm compost bin right now.) DS13 is working his way through the TIME for Kids Super Science book. You can find books for hardly anything on amazon, used. We take lots of walks - animals, leaves, christmas lights, whatever. When they don't want to go outside, we have an agreement that we'll do it for 15 minutes, then they can go in, if they choose. They generally decide to stay out longer. :)  

Where are you in Germany? Are you a military family?

Quoting 101stwife:

Wow! That sounds amazing!! My youngest son is very interested in cooking so I plan to include cooking lessons in the morning. He also wants to learn how to play the guitar, however since we live in Germany it is hard to find lessons. I love that you start later in the day, that might be something we end up doing too since both of my 5th graders aren't morning people (my 8th grader is up by 5am - even on the weekends - and in bed by 9pm lol).

They all love Science and anything to do with Space. What do you do to learn about that? Do you use a curriculum or do it independantly?

Quoting DrJChappell:

catJennifer

101stwife
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 10:51 AM

That sounds amazing! Wow, I can't imagine how hard it was to let your son cook on the grill. My oldest is 14 and he is a pretty good cook but has never cooked on the grill before. My youngest son is 10 and he is the one that is the most interested in cooking. I just got him his own cookbook and some cooking utinsels.

Yes, we are a military family. We lived in Mannheim, Germany for 2 years before they closed down that post and now we are in Schweinfurt. We love it here!! So many opportunities for learning:0)

Quoting DrJChappell:

I found that my oldest son is interested in cooking, but he prefers to do it on the grill! It was hard to let him do the whole open-flame thing, but he makes a darn good rack of ribs! DS12 didn't want to learn to cook until he chose the cookbook. That has made all the difference in the world.

I asked the kids if they could choose when they start school, what would they choose? I asked them about their own calendar, too. The state requires that we do 4.5 hours a day, 180 days a year. DS13 wanted to get it done for the year, so he chose short vacation breaks and he's done before Christmas break. DS12 wanted to take long vacations, but I had to shorten summer break to get the days in. He also chose to take Wednesdays off. DD8 wanted long vacations, too, but we had to shorten summer break for her, too.

For science, we use a lot of things. I've tried curriculum, but it doesn't really hold their attention. DS13 has asked for an online curriculum next year - we'll see. Not a lot of money to spend on that, and he has his sights set on the University of Alabama for college, so we'll have to start keeping track of units. We use library books, netflix dvds and streaming, lots of experiments and experiment kits from amazon. DS13 did three experiments on Tuesday: he made oobleck & made a "lava lamp" without the light part (chemistry) and assembled an FM radio using a Snap Circuits set. We went to the Space Science Center, too, and watched Apollo 13 on dvd the next morning. We go outside and look at the stars at night and watch the sunrises in the morning. I'm working on becoming an urban homesteader and I ask them to help me with that, too. (We're making a worm compost bin right now.) DS13 is working his way through the TIME for Kids Super Science book. You can find books for hardly anything on amazon, used. We take lots of walks - animals, leaves, christmas lights, whatever. When they don't want to go outside, we have an agreement that we'll do it for 15 minutes, then they can go in, if they choose. They generally decide to stay out longer. :)  

Where are you in Germany? Are you a military family?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN