Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what are the qualificiations for homeschooling your child?

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM
  • 46 Replies

My husband is asking this question...so I  would love to get some responses to pass on to him. Or just share your experience when others ask you the same thing...what makes you qualified to teach.

by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

My qualifications are that i love my children, i want the best for them. i need no others qual.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this
Well, I can read a teacher's manual and I'm willing to learn with them.

I do have some. College education nd was a pretty decent student so I feel that I'm able to get through high school with them.

Whatsbetter is I'm willing to get them help if/ when I find something I'm not good at.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AutumnDreamer
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:13 AM
5 moms liked this

Well,  I was successful in teaching them how to walk, talk, dress themselves, eat with utensils, how to say please and thank you, etc all without a manual, so teaching them with a manual is way easier!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:27 AM
2 moms liked this

it's so frustrating when you encounter people and spouses who are so blinded by the system that they cannot see past it :-(

101stwife
by Member on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:29 AM

I am a mother, their first teacher. That is qualification enough. Beyond that I was a preschool teacher, I have graduated highschool and completed 2 years of college though it is in Criminal Justice.

I want what is best for my kids, and no one knows what is better for my children than myself.

mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:31 AM

Having a child? NO one knows your child & how to handle them like you do.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM
6 moms liked this

What makes a school teacher qualified to teach my kid? If public school did it's job, and taught kids what they needed to know, a future school teacher shouldn't have to go and get a 4 year degree to know how to reteach it. LOL

sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:32 AM
1 mom liked this

The only qualifications I have to worry about are those set by the laws in my state, which say the parent must have a high school diploma or equivalent.

I turn the "what makes you think you are qualified to teach them" attacks with "are you a registered dietitian?...no....OK then,what makes you think you are qualified to feed your children?"

mamabens
by Miranda on Dec. 20, 2011 at 11:33 AM

BTW, my parents have all but flat out said that I'm not smart enough to homeschool my kids..it hurts but in the end only  me & their father knows what's best for them!

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM

oh that must hurt...so sorry :-(

Quoting mamabens:

BTW, my parents have all but flat out said that I'm not smart enough to homeschool my kids..it hurts but in the end only  me & their father knows what's best for them!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)