Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

what are the qualificiations for homeschooling your child?

Posted by   + Show Post

My husband is asking this question...so I  would love to get some responses to pass on to him. Or just share your experience when others ask you the same thing...what makes you qualified to teach.

by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:19 AM
Replies (41-46):
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Ummm. I can read? LOL - I believe anyone can be a teacher if they CARE about the child in question. If you truly care than even a subject you know nothing about can be taught- you just have to do some studying on your own! For instance, I had never taken Latin - but thought it would be a good start for learning foreign languages. I got a couple of curriculum, but their teaching style wasn't what we needed. So I made my own -which ment learning Latin myself.

Otherwise I am college educated, I have degrees in Physics and Geology.

aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 21, 2011 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

LOL I told my hubby the same thing...I CAN READ! I can follow what is written and learn too. He is just being dense. lol. sorry.

Quoting KickButtMama:

Ummm. I can read? LOL - I believe anyone can be a teacher if they CARE about the child in question. If you truly care than even a subject you know nothing about can be taught- you just have to do some studying on your own! For instance, I had never taken Latin - but thought it would be a good start for learning foreign languages. I got a couple of curriculum, but their teaching style wasn't what we needed. So I made my own -which ment learning Latin myself.

Otherwise I am college educated, I have degrees in Physics and Geology.

lucsch
by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this

To me, what you really need to know is this: "How is homeschooling going to be better than public school?"

A tutoring situation with a tutor that always has the child's best interests at heart is going to be better than an overcrowded classroom that teaches to the abilities of the slowest learner.

I can teach subjects, like patriotism, Bible and character. We can pray. Our family values will not be constantly broken down.

If my child is not one of these children that can sit in a desk and learn, I can still teach her, using other methods. A teacher cannot do that, and my child would just be labeled and will fall behind.

Have you seen the test results? That alone is enough to make a parent want to homeschool.

Living life has given me more experience and knowledge than all my 16 years of schooling. I feel that is a valuable perspective when teaching my own dd.

Homeschooling can retain that love of learning that a child has from birth. How many kids in a public school still love to learn? Some, but not many.

Kids that are homeschooled naturally end up with better socializing skills. My dd LOVES to talk to every aged person--from toddler to adults. She isn't afraid of talking to people. Many kids in public school seem to have a disdain for anyone not their own age. Gee, I wonder why?

I could go on and on. LOL

JulieBrown
by Member on Dec. 22, 2011 at 2:17 AM

I have a masters and 2 undergraduate degrees.  I think that I would do just fine homeschooling without the degrees.  I taught several classes in college as a TA and I coached several sports while in high school, so I guess you can say I have taught professionally.  I personally don't think that helps me be a better homeschooling parent. 

Love, patience and helping your child chase their own dreams is the most important thing.

carolkey74
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 8:45 AM
I have been following this post, and I waited to respond when I was sure I could control my temper. Let me clarify that I am not upset with you, mom. I want to be sure that I do not disrespect you or your husband, but I feel it's safe to say that he has no idea how condescending his attitude is. What makes me qualified? I love them. What qualifies him as a father? Does he need special training? My husband and I pulled our children out of ps two years ago, and it's the best thing we've ever done. They are thriving at home, and now have the freedom to research different things. They don't have to spend their days preparing for a state test. I have a Bachelors degree, and I'm currently pursuing my Masters in professional counseling. I hope to open my own practice after I receive my therapist license, and offer help to families in your situation. I pray that your husband's attitude changes. God bless.
aneela
by 80sTardisGirl4Gore on Dec. 22, 2011 at 11:37 AM

yep i think that is part of his problem...he doesn't understand it at all...and though he says he is open minded...his questions show otherwise...and i understand him and of course me having questions and wanting to know how to go about this...but his questions are crossing the line ...with ME lol...thanks for your reply

Quoting carolkey74:

I have been following this post, and I waited to respond when I was sure I could control my temper. Let me clarify that I am not upset with you, mom. I want to be sure that I do not disrespect you or your husband, but I feel it's safe to say that he has no idea how condescending his attitude is. What makes me qualified? I love them. What qualifies him as a father? Does he need special training? My husband and I pulled our children out of ps two years ago, and it's the best thing we've ever done. They are thriving at home, and now have the freedom to research different things. They don't have to spend their days preparing for a state test. I have a Bachelors degree, and I'm currently pursuing my Masters in professional counseling. I hope to open my own practice after I receive my therapist license, and offer help to families in your situation. I pray that your husband's attitude changes. God bless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)