Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Finding a co-op

Posted by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am new to the homeschool mania, and I am working on getting everything lined up next year.  The question that I am having is that I have been looking for a co-op group, to keep my boys active with other kids.  How did you find a co-op?  I could really use some help.

by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oredeb
by on Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:35 AM

we started our own, but type in your town and state in the google search and homeschool co op and see what somes up??

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 21, 2011 at 10:40 AM

Try looking on Yahoo Groups for your State, Goggle+ Groups for your state, Meetups for your state. Also for stuff to do with your kids for classes or field trips, see what activities are offered by the public library, the local community center, museums & zoos around you too!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Quoting usmom3:

Try looking on Yahoo Groups for your State, Goggle+ Groups for your state, Meetups for your state. Also for stuff to do with your kids for classes or field trips, see what activities are offered by the public library, the local community center, museums & zoos around you too!

I agree. I actually found our 2 coops through a homeschooling discussion board on Yahoo. The board is for all homeschoolers in our state. I had thought there were very few HS'ers in our area but after being on the group I found 2 coops within 5 miles of our home, in fact we walk to one of them! GL!

You can also check at your local library & community ctr.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Dec. 21, 2011 at 12:02 PM

Make sure to ask any homeschooler you meet if they know of one. 8)

oredeb
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:50 PM

hows the coop search going?

SpiritedDragon
by on Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM

I have looked, my only issue I am finding is that the county we live in doesn't seem to have one.  So I am going to need to look at the next counties over, hopefully that will work for us.  

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 22, 2011 at 9:40 PM

You could always start your own support group & when it gets big enough turn it in to a co-op.

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

I have looked, my only issue I am finding is that the county we live in doesn't seem to have one.  So I am going to need to look at the next counties over, hopefully that will work for us.  

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 24, 2011 at 7:14 AM

Most  co-ops will sign up with their State's Home School Associations.  So if you contact your State Association they can almost always assist.  To find yours click on this link, scroll down to your State, and click on it. 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Dec. 24, 2011 at 8:11 AM
I found mine through my church. I had no idea there were even hsers there until I started :) it's a bit religious for me, so I often feel out of place (my husband and kids are catholic, I'm not) so I have no idea what to do when they pray the Rosary, repeat stuff, and I never remember to pray before we eat! Talk about Feeling bad. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dougiesmom
Starting to despise Facebook. Perhaps just get rid of the internet all together. It's causing me more trouble than good right now. :(
Yesterday at 3:58 PM
by Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 10:07 PM

We are a part of a co-op that covers several counties in our area (western KY). I found them through DH's cousin, who has homeschooled all her kids. Every other Friday of the first semester (Sept-Dec) and one Friday a month the 2nd semester (Jan-May) we have "Friday school" where the kids are grouped by age and go to "classes." DS is in the 4-8 yrs group, and his class averaged 15 kids. Plenty of socialization, if you ask me! We have a Yahoo groups page and a facebook page. www.hslda.org also has a database of support groups (I didn't realize ours isn't on their list; I'll have to say something about that at the next meeting LOL).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)