Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

need your feedback!!!!

Posted by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

i'M CONSIDERING HOME SCHOOLING BUT DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START. I HAVE 11 YEAR OLD TWINS IN THE 5TH GRADE AND A 1 YEAR OLD. WHERE DO I BEGIN?

by on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jenn8604
by Member on Dec. 26, 2011 at 12:31 PM
research what curriculm to use. there are tons out there. If you are going to homeschool til the end of hs then make sure you get them in an actual accredited hs. My friend wasnt in one and had to get her GED on top of having graduated. I was in an accredited hs and have an actual diploma, hers her parents just made on the computer.
i went thru christian libery academy. theres abeka (sp), alpha and omega lifepac, and there are tons of stuff at different education resource places. my mom got tons of stuff for my brother and sister at one that was full of stuff that theyd do units based on one thing for everything. Like money for adding, learning the history of how money came to be. what money is made out of etc. then they also had baseball for everything. hope someone else has ideas to help more, cuz thats all i have.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 26, 2011 at 1:37 PM
It really depends on what "style" of homeschool you want to have and WHY you are pulling the twins.

Style: Do you want to use a package curriculum and have more of a "school at home" style? Do you want to go eclectic and piece things togther depending on the kid's interests? Somewhere in between? Do you want to go totally independent or use a charter school or virtual school?

Why: Does either have any learning disability? Are they gifted n bored?

These will all make a diffference in what you choose.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 26, 2011 at 4:51 PM
I would do what Jinx-Troublex3 said & learn the laws in your state.
findingfaith
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 9:36 AM

I stay at home to school my first grade daughter but I do it through Cyber School. I also work part time and I'm still looking for more work since I am a single mom. I pulled my daughter out of Brick and mortor school due to bullying and poor circullum at the school. I applaud the moms and dads that can come up with all the lessons and such but it just wasn't my thing. That's when I found cyber school, Connections Academy. It's part of the public school system. They come up with the lessons and meet all state requirments but the child still learns at home at their own pace. My daughter is ahead in science, math and langauge arts this semeseter and has all A+ and A's down the board. She gets to talk to her CA teacher once every other week and they conduct "live lessons" every week over the internet. They also supply your books, supplies, and electronic equippment for no cost. I love teaching my daughter and letting her go on her own pace. I also love that the lesson planning, which I stink at is covered. It may not be some peoples thing but it's worth looking into. THere are many different kinds out there. Do lots of research and make sure you have the right fit, either homeschooling on your own, public cyber school or private cyber school. Good Luck!

101stwife
by Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:07 AM

I have two 5th grade boys that I am beginning to homeschool. We pulled them out of public school over the Christmas break. I have never homeschooled before so I was/am excited but very nervous. I decided to go with the Time4Learning website that does the lessons for me. Though, I will say I can see myself using it more as a supplement. Math and Reading are 2 subjects I really want them to get the school education with, and maybe Science later on. But, things like History, Religion and for now Science I am finding that I like to do my own thing. Right now we live in Germany and I want to use that to my advantage for the rest of the time we are here. Lots of Historical teaching opportunities!!

Good luck! :0)

oredeb
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 10:36 AM

some good advice!

find out what your homeschool law is  http://www.hslda.org/hs/

deschool your kids for a bit to find out how they learn, and just to get over that public school mentality,  get them use to being at home

during that time you should research what you want to use and how you want to homeschool,  check out their learning styles or this one

theres sites online that you can use for homeschooling your kids

heres a site with some online ideas what ;to use  http://www.squidoo.com/homeschool-curriculum-5th-grade

romacox
by Silver Member on Dec. 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM

This article should help:

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)