Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Looking for a new reading curriculum

Posted by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM
  • 4 Replies

We are currently using Winterpromise LA1 Reading on my own complete curriculum and would like to use something different for a reading program.  With WP  they gave us a book that contains 2page stories for each day of the school year with a page of comprehension questions at the end of each story.  The stories do not advance in difficulty as the year goes on (they start hard and stay hard).  You are supposed to have your child just read a few sentences and progress to reading the whole story as the year goes on.

My daughter (6years old,1st grade) can read well.  She completed Teach Your Child to Read in 100 lessons last year for K.  She reads books like Cat and the Hat and Give a Mouse a Cookie, Night Before Christmas and many other books.  She hates reading when it comes to using WP :(  There are almost no pictures and it seems dauting to just look at the stories.

I was hoping to use Bob Jones Press Homeschool reading program next year (looks like it would be a good fit) but I wanted to get some feedback on it.  Has anyone used it or can suggest another reading program that may be a better fit? 

I am going to continue to use WP for history, and science and Horizons for Math.

by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 5:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
oredeb
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:26 PM

what about getting the next grades for the winter promise?

as for bob jones they have good language arts and the readers are good, but not sure about the reading program but it looks good!!!   http://cathyduffyreviews.com/phonics_reading/BJUP-reading.htm

usmom3
by BJ on Dec. 27, 2011 at 7:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Have you thought about just taking her to the library & letting her get books she is interested in & read them at least until you find a different curriculum to try.

CoffeeMamaOf5
by on Dec. 27, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Learn to read in 100 Easy Lessons is a good choice......by the end of the lessons they are reading at a 2nd grade level......

however, I prefer the idea of getting books she is interested fromn the library and reading to her....she will catch on!

homeschoolmama2
by on Dec. 28, 2011 at 5:15 PM
1 mom liked this

teacherMy children really enjoyed the books from Sonlight. They have a great reading variety for that age group.  I also love Five In A Row.  Wonderful low-key curriculum with Charlotte Mason approach.  Currently, this is our first year with Heart Of Dakota.  Great Curriculum.  We love it.... Or better yet; go to the library and sign her up with her own library card and let her pick all the picture books she likes.  At that age you want to enstill the LOVE of reading.  Let her read all she wants.  You could even pick out different genres for her to give her a rounded variety of literature.  Most importantly, is to continue to read to her.  My children are 10 and still love the read-alouds I read to them.  I suggest reading only unadapted quality literature to her.  This will give her a better range of vocabulary and comprehension in her future study skills.  I also would continue to have her narrate back to you with every subject.  I must admit, my children get "rusty" if we don't narrate as often as we should.

Overall,  Relax and enjoy the homeschool ride.  They grow up SO fast....

Our goal this New Year is to strive for excellence throughout the day.  

New Motto:  PERFECT PRACTICE = PERFECTION  

Be Blessed throughout the New Year.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)