Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Advice for a new math curriculum

Posted by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hello all! I am currently homeschooling my DD who is in 1st grade.  I am using Sing, Spell, Read & Write (which I LOVE) and Saxon Math.  I feel like the Saxon is not challenging enough for her and can be a bit boring.  At first, I thought perhaps it was just a review and the the lessons would "pick up" a bit.  Any recommendations for something else to try that would be a little more challenging? Have any of you done Saxon? What was your experience?  

by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerofMu
by Bronze Member on Dec. 29, 2011 at 1:07 PM

We love Math U See.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:21 PM

We haven't done Saxon so I can't comment about that.

We too are Math U See failthfuls! it is a mastery program with review in every lesson.

I was amazed at how well it worked. It is a little on the "boring" side as in there are no bright colored pages, but the DVD "teacher" is really good and you have the manual to look at if anything needs clarifying. The manipulatives were awesome for noth my kids.

Also, the kids work at their own pace- some lessons they needed 1-2 pages of, most we did all of the pages. There were a few times where they didn't "get it" right away and I was able to print more worksheets off their website.

The biggest 'cons" to MUS is that it teaches reading the clock when they learn skip counting - but it doesn't show actual clocks or have hands on for that. It's very breif.They asl teach money in word problems so you learn about decimals and such but they don't teach what the different coins looks like. I found a workbook somewhere that was "Time and Money" and for about $5 covered all the things that were "Missing" from MUS.

MegN25
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 2:39 PM

Thank you so much for both responses! I appreciate the input. Definitely worth looking into for next year! 

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Dec. 29, 2011 at 3:39 PM

We love using http://www.khanacademy.org/ which is free.

oredeb
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM

hi megn, ive been using saxon math for about 20 years now, i love it! it can be boring though!!!! what i do is let the kids do it on the chalk board, outloud, half the problems, take turns out loud, make games up with it, let the kids do it on large pieces of paper and not in any order(they love that)

i was never any good in math till i got these books, made it so easy for me to teach, even the algebra and geometry lessons!

Danielle163
by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM

When DD was in public school, they used Saxon. It was ok. After she was removed, I used Saxon for her 2nd grade year. I felt though that it wasn't very challenging. So for this year we switched over to Singapore (mastery) and Teaching Textbooks (spiral). The S. is very challenging and the TT is fun since its on the computer. I purchased the tests book also for Singapore...it has really great word problems. 

itsrks
by on Dec. 30, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I think Saxon may be okay in a school setting but my experience is that there are more engaging, and enjoyable math programs that utulize technology for home. I helped out in a parent participation school where the kids did their math on their own. Even still, the teacher would usually introduce things.

I tutored a couple of students that used Saxon at home. They had been using in their school before homeschooling. They did well with it but they also only did math on a daily basis. It took most of the morning to complete a lesson. These same students didn't do well in language arts unless there were yes and no type questions. So, my asssessment is that these students liked math regardless because they liked having clear one answer problems. Even still, they had struggles with some of the math concepts.

If your child learns well on their own, Saxon may be okay but once the material gets harder, it might be better to invest in another program that utilizes multimedia.

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

lucsch
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I suggest Rod & Staff (R&S) for a mastery program, or Christian Light Education (CLE), for an incremental spiral program.

Both worked well for us.

My dd9 is using CLE currently.

Gumberly
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 2:01 PM
I started my DS on horizon and at first e loved it and flew through it with ease but after a while it became a battle to get him to do it (he just didn't like it any more) so we switched to math u see and he loves it.
Like a provisous momma pointed out it doesn't cover time telling the way I would like so I will have to supplement that and money as well but it offers so much and he enjoys it so its worth the little bit of extra work.
alexsmomaubrys2
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting TigerofMu:

We love Math U See.

Join me in Moms for Education
Moms for Education

"Oppression of spirit is not on
the public school curriculum. Rather, it's a noxious by-product produced
while stewing schooling in a pot w/ unions, administrators,
multi-billion dollar budgets, state education departments, and school
boards, then letting politicians control the heat." Linda Dobson

"When you want to teach
children to think, you begin by treating them seriously when they are
little, giving them responsibilities, talking to them candidly,
providing privacy and solitude for them, and making them readers and
thinkers of significant thoughts from the beginning. That's *if* you
want to teach them to think." ~ Bertrand Russell

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)