Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice for a new math curriculum

Posted by   + Show Post

Hello all! I am currently homeschooling my DD who is in 1st grade.  I am using Sing, Spell, Read & Write (which I LOVE) and Saxon Math.  I feel like the Saxon is not challenging enough for her and can be a bit boring.  At first, I thought perhaps it was just a review and the the lessons would "pick up" a bit.  Any recommendations for something else to try that would be a little more challenging? Have any of you done Saxon? What was your experience?  

by on Dec. 29, 2011 at 12:48 PM
Replies (11-16):
MegN25
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:28 PM

Thank you all! 

carolkey74
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 7:33 AM
We used Saxon last year...hated it! My son is using Life of Fred this year for 5th grade, and my daughter is using Khan Academy for Algebra 1. Both are fantastic! Another plus is cost. LOF books are $19, and Khan is free!
bmw29
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM
We use Life of Fred and I love it. My son and I are both much better at English and this curriculum is so good for that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM
LOL I love Fred. Math is no longer a dreaded subject in this house.

Quoting carolkey74:

We used Saxon last year...hated it! My son is using Life of Fred this year for 5th grade, and my daughter is using Khan Academy for Algebra 1. Both are fantastic! Another plus is cost. LOF books are $19, and Khan is free!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
calimom1123
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 1:58 PM
Christian light education. It is advanced and teaches alot of different things in a school year. Abeka is good too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 2:08 PM
My dd was doing math steps, but moved to life of Fred with generated worksheets for problem areas. Next year we will be doing LoF with teaching textbooks to give my dd some verity.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)