Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New here and looking for input homeschooling preschoolers

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM
  • 8 Replies

Hi my name is Monique.  I have homeschooled at different times in our "career"; my oldest son who is now 21 has Aspergers and I homeschooled him for his last 2 years of high school as the school system we had moved to was dismal at providing services.  I home schooled my then 9 year old for a year because we were moving alot, but he has since returned to public school (we live on a military base so I like the school system).

I have never started at a really young age, but my 3yr old has severe life threatening food allergies and there is no way in heck I am sending him to any public school; so I am planning to homeschool him and his younger brothers (ages 2 and still in the womb :-) )

I have been looking at the before five in a row curriculum to use with them and I think I like it but I would like to know if anyone else has experience with this curriculum?  And how long per day did you homeschool for that age group? I was thinking probably a max of 1.5 to 2 hours a day.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Welcome!!

It sounds like you are on the right track. Five in a row is very popular curriculum to use. 1-2 hours sounds about perfect, especially if you add in breaks and activities.

preciouspkgs
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Thanks.  That was what I was thinking, based on my friends around here (there is a pretty big homeschooling community) but I wasn't sure.  I don't want to overwhelm them.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2012 at 10:39 PM

I'm glad you have such a good support system.

Quoting preciouspkgs:

Thanks.  That was what I was thinking, based on my friends around here (there is a pretty big homeschooling community) but I wasn't sure.  I don't want to overwhelm them.

DrJChappell
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:19 PM

3 years old is pretty young for formal curriculum. It's all about play at that age.

preciouspkgs
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 1:28 PM

if you look at the before fiar curriculum, its mostly reading them the story and then different play activities based on the story.  Not really meant for more than  20 - 30 minutes. :-)

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Children have a natural desire to learn, and the school structure manages to turn that natural desire off by second grade.  On the other hand most home schooled children retain that natural desire to learn for a life time.  Just listen to the conversations of a group of home schooled children; unlike  their public schooled counter parts, they like to talk about learning. When they reach high school the home educated are more often self motivated, and do not need parents pushing them to study.

Here are some ideas to help you:

How To Home School

As for preschool, teach while playing.  For example:

• While coloring with your children, ask them to hand you the blue crayon, ext to teach colors
  • Sing the ABC song while going for walks
  • Once they know the ABC's draw them in the sand, or play games having them find the letter in a book as you read to them, or have them pick them out of some flash cards.
  • Teach Sequencing

Young children learn best while at play or real life experiences.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:40 AM

This is some very good advice.

Quoting romacox:

Children have a natural desire to learn, and the school structure manages to turn that natural desire off by second grade.  On the other hand most home schooled children retain that natural desire to learn for a life time.  Just listen to the conversations of a group of home schooled children; unlike  their public schooled counter parts, they like to talk about learning. When they reach high school the home educated are more often self motivated, and do not need parents pushing them to study.

Here are some ideas to help you:

How To Home School

As for preschool, teach while playing.  For example:

• While coloring with your children, ask them to hand you the blue crayon, ext to teach colors
  • Sing the ABC song while going for walks
  • Once they know the ABC's draw them in the sand, or play games having them find the letter in a book as you read to them, or have them pick them out of some flash cards.
  • Teach Sequencing

Young children learn best while at play or real life experiences.

oredeb
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM
1 mom liked this

hi monique!! sounds like you know what your doing!! be sure to have fun teaching the kids!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)