Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

K-12

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
  • 15 Replies

Any moms use the K-12 program? I will be using it this fall for my Kindergartener and will use it for my 3 year old when she gets to school age. I would just like to know what you think about it.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:15 PM

I personally did not like it. 

miikaanimommy
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:20 PM
What didn't you like?

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

I personally did not like it. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mojitomommy
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

bump

I have been really looking in to K12 . I am hoping to start it this fall .

miikaanimommy
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:28 PM
What grade? I'll be starting my oldest daughter in kindergarten this fall.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

The work was not interesting , there were no field trips , I was supplementing and testing out of so much of the assignments. K-12  here in Vegas starts out at a preschool level it seems. Before you sign the dotted line read as many homeschool books as possible, join homeschool groups ( not just Internet ones) Talk to moms who have  homeschooled lots of children.

Why are considering K12? I did because I thought I didn't know enough to homeschool my child but I taught her how to read when she was 4.  So I pulled her out and it was the best thing for us. I also had a 2 year old and was pregnant with my son at that time.

Now I have a second grader and a Kindergartner plus a toddler.  We do lots of learning together and when Logan takes a nap I do individual stuff with each child.

I am not saying don't do it but you should really look into all of your options and educate yourself first.

Some good reads are The Imperfect homeschooler By Barbara Frank

Homeschooling the early years by Linda Dobbs

Teach your own ( I think that is the title ) By John Holt

Homeschooling with a Meek and Quiet Spirit By Terri Maxwell

I am no expert but this has worked best for my children and our family.

xoxo

miikaanimommy
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 9:48 PM
Thank you so much! I will for sure look for more info!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chrissymanor
by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 11:33 PM
My kids do azva I'm thinking it is different from state to state because we have field trips and the curriculum we have is very comprehensive. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with k12 but I'm glad that you found what fits your family the best :)

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

The work was not interesting , there were no field trips , I was supplementing and testing out of so much of the assignments. K-12  here in Vegas starts out at a preschool level it seems. Before you sign the dotted line read as many homeschool books as possible, join homeschool groups ( not just Internet ones) Talk to moms who have  homeschooled lots of children.

Why are considering K12? I did because I thought I didn't know enough to homeschool my child but I taught her how to read when she was 4.  So I pulled her out and it was the best thing for us. I also had a 2 year old and was pregnant with my son at that time.

Now I have a second grader and a Kindergartner plus a toddler.  We do lots of learning together and when Logan takes a nap I do individual stuff with each child.

I am not saying don't do it but you should really look into all of your options and educate yourself first.

xoxo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Homeschooling is such a personal decision. You are the mom and you know your children and family best. I am so happy to see parents taking responsibility for their children education. When I was young people who home schooled were "religious" or their children were hermits.But now look how far it has come. SO AWESOME !!!

Quoting chrissymanor:

My kids do azva I'm thinking it is different from state to state because we have field trips and the curriculum we have is very comprehensive. I'm sorry you had a bad experience with k12 but I'm glad that you found what fits your family the best :)

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

xoxo

chrissymanor
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:18 AM
I agree with you 100%!

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

Homeschooling is such a personal decision. You are the mom and you know your children and family best. I am so happy to see parents taking responsibility for their children education. When I was young people who home schooled were "religious" or their children were hermits.But now look how far it has come. SO AWESOME !!!

Quoting chrissymanor:

Quoting bugayfamilyof4:

xoxo

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsrks
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I thought it was good for a year or two here and there just for the experience. I didn't let the "requirements" get to me and I played the system by checking off what I thought was redundant. I took responsibility for what my children should do to understand the material and how much I thought they needed to do. I did like the books and my children loved the history and science. However, I didn't do it by the book. For instance, we read the history books together and then we played a guessing game for the worksheets instead of them filling them out themselves. It was fun, memorable,and probably more retainable that way. High school was almost 100% independent and that was not as flexible. We had field trips available but we didn't go on too many because we were still responsible for the lessons that day. I like structure. At the same time, if there was something just as structured but gave more freedom, I would have done it. That is why I created the Uplifting Education program. (see my sig.) I was thinking of my grandchildren but I also realized others would probably appreciate it as well. The price is reasonable too (unlike getting the K12 independently).

Get HEART (Help and support, Expansion of the mind and heart, Academic excellence, Realization of unique genius, and Training of heart) for less than $1 a day!  http://www.upliftingeducation.net/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)