Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any moms use the K-12 program? I will be using it this fall for my Kindergartener and will use it for my 3 year old when she gets to school age. I would just like to know what you think about it.

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

by on Jan. 2, 2012 at 4:07 PM
Replies (11-15):
gemstatemama
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:58 PM
My kindergartner and I are using K-12. We've got to go on great field trips that we wouldn't have had a chance to do otherwise, like the lake cruise with the bird expert to eagle watch ( we are in north Idaho). We got to go on the cruise, plus had hot cocoa. Our neighbor is going to regular K and they didn't get to go on a field trip to see the eagles, so I feel it's a huge advantage over physical school. We also qualify for K-12 to pay our Internet connection and that is a big help on our budget. The books they sent were great. There is a thing on their site to connect with local kiddos and we've done that and had playdates and made friends. The online math is interesting for my son and they sent a DVD of songs to go with History. My 6 yr old and little brother both like the math manipulatives sent. All that being said, I use it to fit our family. I'm not doing the handwriting (we are starting with cursive) so I just mark off the lessons as we do our own. We are reading all the books, but not doing the "busy work" that came for language arts. If a lessons looks interesting, we do it, if not, we do something else and then mark it complete. So far we are pretty happy with it,
OneToughMami
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

It is so much different state to state. Being on these groups here I noticed so many differences. Definitely try and find a buddy from your state. I actually was lucky enough to get a new neighbor who has a daughter in Agora (PA) and she explained to me that they have different meets, field trips, and different fun things for the kids. Just recently there was a ginger bread making meet, we missed it because of the date :-(...I don't mind supplementing what she is learning because I was doing that anyway with PS...even though the curriculum here in PA seems better than the PS curriculum she was using.

miikaanimommy
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I'm so glad that there's positive about it. There are issues with our school district and I just can't put my kids in this school...and they way a lot of the schools are going in Ohio...I don't see ever doing it.  I also see the K-12 being pretty big with my generation. I got a program to homeschool my daughter for PS and it's going great. She can cound to 200 and knows her addition up to five. Tomorrow we start with six-ten. I can't wait!

Quoting gemstatemama:

My kindergartner and I are using K-12. We've got to go on great field trips that we wouldn't have had a chance to do otherwise, like the lake cruise with the bird expert to eagle watch ( we are in north Idaho). We got to go on the cruise, plus had hot cocoa. Our neighbor is going to regular K and they didn't get to go on a field trip to see the eagles, so I feel it's a huge advantage over physical school. We also qualify for K-12 to pay our Internet connection and that is a big help on our budget. The books they sent were great. There is a thing on their site to connect with local kiddos and we've done that and had playdates and made friends. The online math is interesting for my son and they sent a DVD of songs to go with History. My 6 yr old and little brother both like the math manipulatives sent. All that being said, I use it to fit our family. I'm not doing the handwriting (we are starting with cursive) so I just mark off the lessons as we do our own. We are reading all the books, but not doing the "busy work" that came for language arts. If a lessons looks interesting, we do it, if not, we do something else and then mark it complete. So far we are pretty happy with it,

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

mhaney03
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:28 AM

we do k12 in Louisiana and we get field trips at least once a month offered to us, but we aren't near a large area so the drive to get there would be a lot.  We have lots of local places here that we go ourselves and it counts toward school hours as long as I make it educational.  We started this school year for my oldest, 3rd grade.  If things go well I may put my middle child in next year.  So far we are liking it just fine.  I think our teacher really is supposed to be more involved than she is, BUT this is k12's first year in louisiana so I'm sure there are glitches and kinks that need to be worked out.  I don't mind her not being more involved, it gives me more freedom.  I didn't agree with a part of one of our social studies lessons and the teacher had no problem with me substituting/changing lessons.

mhaney03
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Momma, you might want to check facebook for your state's k12 program, there should be a page for each different school.  search "k12" then your state name in the facebook search.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)