Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Have YOU learned anything new while teaching your kids?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM
  • 7 Replies

I am working on WWI with my boys right now. I was amazed at the amount of WWII resources at our library but also at the lack of anything on WWI. It forced me to dig deeper and the stuff I have been finding on it is awesome!

I love history to begin with. WWII has always captured my attention but I knew little to nothing about WWI. I have learned so much since I have been preparing lesson plans and activites for them to do. For instance, most everyone believes that the Germans were the bad guys in both World Wars. I don't think there is anyone who can refute that they were in WWII but in WWI? Yeah, not so much. I had no idea that we were basically conned into joining the war!

Anyway, is there anything that has stood out to you since homeschooling your kids? Something that you have learned that you didn't know before??

by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I can't think of anything that stands out but I have relearned/learned so much! It's great. Oh, and my spelling and math have improved tenfold. LOLLOL

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:48 AM

I learn new things everyday right along with my kids, to many things to start listing here. I will tell you one thing I learned that might be of interest to you about WWII, Americas military knew that Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor before it happened & had plenty of time to warn the people there to defend themselves but didn't warn them because the head General wanted a reason to get in on the war & knew if America was attacked that the people would support entering the war!

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:50 AM

everyday :)

101stwife
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Quoting usmom3:

I learn new things everyday right along with my kids, to many things to start listing here. I will tell you one thing I learned that might be of interest to you about WWII, Americas military knew that Japan was going to attack Pearl Harbor before it happened & had plenty of time to warn the people there to defend themselves but didn't warn them because the head General wanted a reason to get in on the war & knew if America was attacked that the people would support entering the war!

That is very interesting! Can you tell me where you got the information from? That will be useful when we start studying WWII.

I can't believe the stuff I am finding on WWI. I was amazed to find out that the Germans weren't really the bad guys in that war and that we were basically lied to and manipulated into joining the war by the Britians. I love history and am excited to be able to relearn or even learn new things as I teach my boys.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Quoting 101stwife:

Quoting usmom3:

That is very interesting! Can you tell me where you got the information from? That will be useful when we start studying WWII.

I can't believe the stuff I am finding on WWI. I was amazed to find out that the Germans weren't really the bad guys in that war and that we were basically lied to and manipulated into joining the war by the Britians. I love history and am excited to be able to relearn or even learn new things as I teach my boys.

I read it in an artical writen about Pearl Harbor on Pearl Harbor rememberence day this year, but now for the life of me I can't find the artical to share the link with you. I will keep looking for it & if I find it I will come back & post it here.

FemaleRacer
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:06 PM

patience and understanding :)

Jessica---wife to Jeff and mom to a house full!

lunchbagbackpacktoddler boyttcpuppycat

cjsix
by Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting 101stwife:

Quoting usmom3:

I read it in an artical writen about Pearl Harbor on Pearl Harbor rememberence day this year, but now for the life of me I can't find the artical to share the link with you. I will keep looking for it & if I find it I will come back & post it here.

101stwife...I too love history and WWll and we have done things on it(especially watching some of the shows on history or pbs and learned quite a bit)Right now I'm wanting to do somethngs on the Civil War.

usmom3...if what you found about Pearl harbor is right....that is sooooo sad and wrong.

Oh,and I like like the tag and siggie you each have....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)