Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

new and need advice/ideas

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM
  • 4 Replies
hi all im new at this so bare with me:-) my oldest is 6 and is in school but is struggling ALOT. he was born preemie so i think that has alot to do with it. But the school is doing nothing to help him except complaining to me about it. So im wondering how and what i can do after school to help catch him up. Would love to homeschool him but hubby wont let me. Also have a 2yr old (be 3 in april) son at home that i want to start homeschooling so i would love to have ideas on that. I feel like if i can prove to my dh that i can school our younger one he'll let me take the older one out of school and teach him at home too. Thank u all so much:-)
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Welcome! For the three year old, I suggest Googling letter of the day curriculum and circle time activities.

What is your six year struggling with the most? I want to be able to give a more focused response. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Welcome to the group! The only bad thing about trying to homeschool a child that is atending a school all ready is that child comes home burned out from learning & school. You are going to have to make it fun or it isn't going to work! For the younger one it should all be about fun & play at his age. So maybe what you can do is get some board games to play with both of them or make up games with what you have at home. A game my younger kids love to play is store, they get out toys that they want to sell to each other & use play money to buy & sell the toys. In that game they are doing math & learning about money & budgeting, also some time supply & demand.

Danielle163
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I would just sit down with your husband and have a very long talk. Tell him that you know that you can teach your children better than ps. Say give me one year to prove that they will soar academically. If he still says no, I would tell him then that HE can deal with the school and the homework that your son is struggling with. That way he will be VERY involved and will know exactly what is going on with your son at the ps. Surely he will be able to see that (from what you stated) all they want to do is complain. There is no one-on-one attention for the child that needs it in ps. If he doesn't like dealing with the school or homework, I'd say your battle is over. Plus, as your son's father, I'm sure he wants the BEST for his children. What are his reasons for saying no?

And I do agree with usmom3 about kids being totally ragged out after a day at ps.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 5:50 PM

Homeschooling is not for everyone, but mothers seem to have a natural instinct  when it comes to their own children...trust it. Here are some links that will help:

How to Home school

Thinking About Homeschooling? Teachers Are

Lesson Plan Ideas (many free)

Why We Do What We Do

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN