Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

need some help!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM
  • 4 Replies

This is our first year homeschooling dd who is in 1st grade. Well we have come really far since we started but i am having such a hard time with spelling with her. I don't know what to do. She is getting so upset. Everything i have tired seems to not work. I have tried playing games with her words, just having her write them and do test, and making them out of differnt items. I have even tried easier words like the ones should would get all right last year at school but even those she can't seem to get right now. I don't know what to do anymore anyone have any tips?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 3, 2012 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

my advise is to step back from spelling & take the pressure off of her! When kids are stressed they forget the things they have learned, so take the stress off & see if that helps.

CoffeeMamaOf5
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Absolutely, what the above poster said -- time to step back.

Who says she has to have any spelling in 1st grade? The first few years should be focusing on just on reading and writing...but spelling can wait for several more years. In fact, in my 15 years experience, I will say it shouldn't be stressed at all. Let me explain. With my first child ( i have 5 ), we did quite a bit of spelling-- every curriculum, tests, everything to do with spelling. She is my worst speller.My eldest son, same thing.  However, with my youngest daughter, I never have done any formal spelling, and she is my best speller! ( reading is the key to a great speller, imo ) my last two kids, I plan on doing no formal spelling as well.

We are home educating and we are not bound by what the regualr schools do...its learning on our time frame/the childs...and what we deem they should learn...not what ms. nancy at said school says a 1st grader should know.

it's ok.....put the spelling away for now.....let her enjoy learning.

AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I agree, I would push the spelling off until maybe 3rd grade.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I concur.  The public school system introduces too much too fast, and that turns children off to learning.  If you observe home educated children,  most enjoy talking about their subjects, but not their public school counterparts.

That is important because if you want your children to be self motivators in high school, and not in need of you pushing them, it is important to retain their natural desire to learn.

This home school mom wrote a beautiful article that should help.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN