Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Should I homeschool?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM
  • 8 Replies

My DS1 is only 2, but I think it is a good idea to join this group because i am not sure yet if i want to homeschool. my SO doesnt agree with it. He doesnt think he will get enough social interaction, and that we dont know enough to teach him.

Some of the reasons I am interested in it: peer pressure at public school, I want him to learn at his own pace, I dont want him losing curriculum if we were ever to move, I dont want him having pressures from teachers, students, etc.

I havent looked too much into it, so I was hoping I could get some opinions and advise about homeschooling. Why do you homeschool? What are the benifits? What is your child/children getting out of it that other kids arent? What may they be missing?

by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:11 PM
We homeschool for numerous reasons. We pulled ds out of PS in the middle of 2nd grade.
He had several medical procedures coming up and would have missed a good deal of school.
He had a speech issue caused by a previous surgery that they couldn't address.
He had fine motor delays that they couldn't address.
His IQ was off the charts but they couldn't put him in the AG program because of the fine motor delay.
He was miserable.
I was miserable.

He has been apart of many wonderful learning experience that he would have missed out on in PS. The only thing he is missing is snotty ass kids without proper supervision.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoffeeMamaOf5
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I wouldn't have it any other way...been learning at home since Day 1...and I wouldn't change a thing. The fruit of it is immeasurable.

Danielle163
by on Jan. 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

My DD (who turns 9 in two weeks) was removed  22 months ago due to bullying/social problems. As far as the ps system goes, the only thing she is "missing" are the terrible kids that haven't been taught the first thing about being friendly and kind. We live in an ultra-small town so we have to search out activities (that haven't already been over-run with the "mean girls") for DD to attend. She is in 4H & Awanna (she sees both boys & girls at these). We also go to the park in good weather. But that is a small price to pay to know that my child is not being bullied and harassed. There are numerous positive things about homeschooling:

You don't have to worry about your child being exposed to things at ps that you would rather explain to them yourself (sex, drugs,etc)

You have more family time

You don't have to worry about bullying, school shootings, bomb threats

Your child will get a much better education at home

You get to pick out their curriculum

You don't have to go out on crappy weather days

You don't have to worry about your child having the expensive clothes or uniforms. These are just a few that come to mind.

You stated that your husband said that he worries that you guys don't know enough to teach him......Heck, almost anyone can hs kids in the lower grades and you said your child is only 2--you've got tons of time to brush up on anything that you/your husband had trouble with in school. There are numerous (used) books you can buy on Amazon to read up on homeschooling. Rebecca Rupp's Home Learning Year by Year is  an excellent resource.

I agree with bmw29....the kids are just terrible and some of the teachers (not all) leave a lot to be desired.

nzumbrun
by Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM
All of the reasons the other moms stated are on my list. The one they didn't mention is the "dumbing down" that the public school system is doing to our kids. It is rediculous!! As far as the teaching my husband and I tag team our kids. I am good at reading and writing but suck at math. He is great at math and his reading and writing are bad. As long as you graduated high school or came close than you can teach your kids. There are online things for most grades too. My kids will be online for high school. They will probably start online in the third grade. There are so many resources out there. Do your homework. Do a lot of research. When the time comes have fun with it. Enjoy this time with your child(ren)
missalex88
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Thanks. I will do my research. This is part of it, I just need to convince my SO.

Another reason is that I dont trust anyone with my children. I have never found a person that I am happy leaving my kids with, because I know what I want for them and what they need, and no one else will do exactly what I want.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Do your research and read some homeschooling books.  I really like Linda Dobson and the book The Well Adjusted Child is a great read to ease most parents minds.  I decided to homeschool because I wanted my kids to have a good education.  I decided that homeschooling was much easier than trying to figure out if my kids were learning enough in school.  My kids have a lot interaction in the real world.  They not stuck in a classroom all day.    My kids have two weekly co-ops, karate twice a week, field trips, park days during nice weather.  They are more socialized than I ever was in school.  In effect My kids have 6-10 teachers other than myself.  I also get to hand pick them.  What can be better than that?  I also get to encourage all my kids curiosity in the world around them.  It is my honor to accompany them on their fantastic journey.

Quoting missalex88:

Thanks. I will do my research. This is part of it, I just need to convince my SO.

Another reason is that I dont trust anyone with my children. I have never found a person that I am happy leaving my kids with, because I know what I want for them and what they need, and no one else will do exactly what I want.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:35 AM
We do it for so many of the reasons above. The schools are just getting SO scary.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:46 AM

We homeschool for almost everything already mentioned. If I could go back & do it again I would never have sent my oldest to the public school let alone for the 8 years that he endured it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)