Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi!

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi! My name is Sondra and I have 3 boys. Anthony(8), Cameron(4), and Brandon(18 months). I joined this group because homeschooling is something I think about all the time. My oldest is currently in public school but I feel that he has been able to skate through it and now is lazy about learning. I am really undecided about it so I am hoping that learning of your experiences can help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 4, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Hello! I pulled my oldest, DD10, out after 1st grade. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 4, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Hello & welcome to the group! I pulled my oldest son from public school in the middle of 6Th grade (my younger 2 where to young for school at the time) & we have never looked back! My only regret is I didn't homeschool all 3 from the beginning. 

calimom1123
by on Jan. 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM
Welcome! I have a 7yo. We tried private school but it didnt work out. My dd loves homeschooling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Hi and welcome! We pulled my dd out of kinder for the same reason, as well as other reasons. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM
How did it work with your younger ones? My 18 month old takes up so much of my attention that I am afraid I won't be able to do it. Also hw time now is so hard. But I am thinking that is mostly because he is being asked to do more after being in school all day.

Quoting usmom3:

Hello & welcome to the group! I pulled my oldest son from public school in the middle of 6Th grade (my younger 2 where to young for school at the time) & we have never looked back! My only regret is I didn't homeschool all 3 from the beginning. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 5, 2012 at 5:35 PM

When he was first pulled out from the PS we deschooled for about 6mo. When we did start doing school work it was more videos & computer work then paper work ( I promised my son that the paper work would be minimal & we would not do grades) so he didn't need my attention as much as he would have had we done a lot of paper work & I didn't have a ton of things to grade. Doing homework is so different then homeschooling, the amount of time devoted to HW is more then is needed each day to homeschool. You will never need to do school for the same amount of time that kids in PS need for school & HW.

Quoting kittyfaery:

How did it work with your younger ones? My 18 month old takes up so much of my attention that I am afraid I won't be able to do it. Also hw time now is so hard. But I am thinking that is mostly because he is being asked to do more after being in school all day.

Quoting usmom3:

kittyfaery
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM
My son would love online work too. I don't know if I would be able to deschool unless I wait for summer. I know CA has mandatory attendance laws.

Quoting usmom3:

When he was first pulled out from the PS we deschooled for about 6mo. When we did start doing school work it was more videos & computer work then paper work ( I promised my son that the paper work would be minimal & we would not do grades) so he didn't need my attention as much as he would have had we done a lot of paper work & I didn't have a ton of things to grade. Doing homework is so different then homeschooling, the amount of time devoted to HW is more then is needed each day to homeschool. You will never need to do school for the same amount of time that kids in PS need for school & HW.

Quoting kittyfaery:

Quoting usmom3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

You just have to get creative with your definition of things that's all! Lets say you do deschool him & for the first few days he only plays video games & reads comic books. If he plays games on the wii some of those could be P.E., & almost all puzzles be them video games or other wise use logic & problem solving. For the comic books that is reading straitup. So you could in good faith take attendance for those days knowing he did educational things!

Quoting kittyfaery:

My son would love online work too. I don't know if I would be able to deschool unless I wait for summer. I know CA has mandatory attendance laws.

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:05 PM
Every state has strict attendance policies. It is all about creativity. I remember for a week straight in ps we watched the sound of music. They called it music history and appreciation. I called it lazy. Lol. Ps do it all the time when they run out of things to do. I remember we had a nature hike one day, and we ended up playing flag football all day, or when we went to Canada for a week. My heinie was not in my seat for all the compulsory attendance days, but they were all learning activity. So is going to the Dr, the bank, a museum.

Quoting usmom3:

You just have to get creative with your definition of things that's all! Lets say you do deschool him & for the first few days he only plays video games & reads comic books. If he plays games on the wii some of those could be P.E., & almost all puzzles be them video games or other wise use logic & problem solving. For the comic books that is reading straitup. So you could in good faith take attendance for those days knowing he did educational things!

Quoting kittyfaery:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kittyfaery
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM
Ok. I looked into the laws a little last year and didn't really go in depth. I know I either have to do something (not sure what) to make my home a private school or go through a distance learning program. And with the ones I looked at you had to log into the website every school day. I will definitly have to look into it more.

Quoting hottmommi42:

Every state has strict attendance policies. It is all about creativity. I remember for a week straight in ps we watched the sound of music. They called it music history and appreciation. I called it lazy. Lol. Ps do it all the time when they run out of things to do. I remember we had a nature hike one day, and we ended up playing flag football all day, or when we went to Canada for a week. My heinie was not in my seat for all the compulsory attendance days, but they were all learning activity. So is going to the Dr, the bank, a museum.

Quoting usmom3:

Quoting kittyfaery:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)