Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New....Experimenting this week with Homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM
  • 18 Replies

HI everyone!  My name is Dawn and I am a Christian, Stay at Home Mom to 2 boys.  Dakota is 9 & Nickolas is 2.  I homeschooled Dakota for K and 1st grade.  He went back to public school for 2nd grade & is currently still enrolled (3rd grade now).  

Dakota has been diagnosed with ADHD & has a reading/reading comprehension learning disability.  He is currently reading at a 1st grade level.  He has had issues with bullies at school as well.  He is not doing well, even though his IEP allows him to be in a co-taught classroom.  Because of this, I am experimenting with him this week.  For the past 3 days, while he is still off on Christmas Break, I have been doing school with him at home.  If all goes well, my husband and I will be prayerfully making a decision by Friday whether or not to send him back on Monday to public school or to homeschool him permanently.

Looking forward to getting to know some other home school moms!  Would love to hear how you all do it...

Is your homeschool structured or more laid back?  Do you take lots of breaks?
Do you use a curriculum?  If so, which one?
Those with little ones....and a small home....how do you keep it quiet so that your olders can focus?

Any tips would be appreciated!!!  :)  I am thinking about just using 2nd grade stuff to finish out the school year because he is so far behind & they talked about not advancing him last year.  They did anyway, and then this year's 3rd grade teacher said he is significantly behind.  So, I'm thinking a review of 2nd grade things would be best for him & really focusing on the reading.  Then for 3rd grade, I was thinking of using Switched on Schoolhouse because he really enjoys the computer & gets bored easily.  Thoughts??

Thanks ladies!

Dawn
41 yr old, Stay at Home Mommy

BLESSED BY ADOPTION!

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Welcome to the group!

LilDsMommy07
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 11:28 PM

BUMP!

calimom1123
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 2:43 AM
Welcome! If he is behind i would opt for homeschooling. The school really cant give him the attention he needs. I am a christian as well. I have used abeka, christian light education and ACE curriculum. We are doing abeka this year. I like it alot. Christian light is great too but its very advanced. ACE is good for slower learners but my dd was advanced so it was too easy for her. Good luck with your decision!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I have been home educating many yrs and I always encourage people to educate their children at home.  I am now down to my last one as all the others have graduated and have families of their own.  Also have many grandchildren that are educated at home too :)  It is absolutely wonderful and you can give your children the best (and safest!) education there is.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

The best way to keep the little one's entertained is to include them or give them their own 'work. I'm also a fan of bribing with food, LOL.

Please let us know how it is going! It can be rough in the beginning but just keep at it.

The longer he stays in school with them not catching him up, the harder it well be for him to catch up at all. 8(

Good Luck!

jendawn1
by Member on Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:07 PM
Welcome!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cafe Kate
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Welcome to the group! I'm so happy you found us!

LilDsMommy07
by on Jan. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM

Thanks everyone!  Today was a rough day.  We were supposed to make our decision today.  My husband is back on the 'no' bandwagon because of the hard day I had with my son.  Today, he just pushed every button possible.  He only got 2 things done today with school.  It's such a rough place to be in.  I don't want him to go back to public school because I think he will get lost in the system.  They have already advanced him once when he probably shouldn't have...He is significantly behind.  At the same time, he is soooo lazy & has a really hard time staying focused.  I just don't know what to do. :(

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 6, 2012 at 9:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Your husband needs to know that just because you homeschool doesn't mean that it is all sun shine & rose with your kids education. Homeschoolers have bad days too!

Are you sure he is lazy & has a hard time focusing? Maybe he is board or you aren't doing things that are geared toward his learning style! If you want him to read every thing to learn it & he is a kinetics learner (that is hands one & needs to touch things) he is never going to learn the information to his fullest ability! If you push him to learn in a way that is not natural to him he will struggle with it.

How much work are you wanting him to do a day? is it the same amount you think he dose in PS? If yes you need to realize that they don't learn the whole time the kids are in school 75% of the time is spent on other things like lunch & transitioning from one subject to the next. So take the amount of hours you think he needs to do school work (say 8) & subtract 75% of that time, that should give you 2 hours & yes you can teach him the same amount of stuff in 2 hours that it takes the PS to teach in 8 & your son will learn it better if you teach to his learning style.

Quoting LilDsMommy07:

Thanks everyone!  Today was a rough day.  We were supposed to make our decision today.  My husband is back on the 'no' bandwagon because of the hard day I had with my son.  Today, he just pushed every button possible.  He only got 2 things done today with school.  It's such a rough place to be in.  I don't want him to go back to public school because I think he will get lost in the system.  They have already advanced him once when he probably shouldn't have...He is significantly behind.  At the same time, he is soooo lazy & has a really hard time staying focused.  I just don't know what to do. :(

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I tutor many children like your son. over these many years, I have learned that it is important to find out what Dakota is missing.  One missing link in the chain will cause the chain not to work. Since I am not there to work with him, I can not say exactly what will help.  But here are the most common things I have come across.

If he is struggling with reading:

2.  If a child falls behind, they often get the idea that something is wrong with them, and that becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.  I was working with a child at home this year who was just not grasping the simplest of things.  Suddenly he said "I am dumb".  I informed his mother, and we both began assuring him that he was not dumb.  He listened, and advanced two grade levels instantly.  It was nothing special that I did.  It was simply him changing his concept of himself.  This happens especially with hands on learners because most curriculum is not designed for them...they hate workbooks.

3.  There are many conditions that are misdiagnosed as learning disabilities. As a result symptoms are treated, but not causes.   Here is an article on that: Learning Disabilities

4.  This article should also be helpful: How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)