Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New....Experimenting this week with Homeschooling

Posted by   + Show Post

HI everyone!  My name is Dawn and I am a Christian, Stay at Home Mom to 2 boys.  Dakota is 9 & Nickolas is 2.  I homeschooled Dakota for K and 1st grade.  He went back to public school for 2nd grade & is currently still enrolled (3rd grade now).  

Dakota has been diagnosed with ADHD & has a reading/reading comprehension learning disability.  He is currently reading at a 1st grade level.  He has had issues with bullies at school as well.  He is not doing well, even though his IEP allows him to be in a co-taught classroom.  Because of this, I am experimenting with him this week.  For the past 3 days, while he is still off on Christmas Break, I have been doing school with him at home.  If all goes well, my husband and I will be prayerfully making a decision by Friday whether or not to send him back on Monday to public school or to homeschool him permanently.

Looking forward to getting to know some other home school moms!  Would love to hear how you all do it...

Is your homeschool structured or more laid back?  Do you take lots of breaks?
Do you use a curriculum?  If so, which one?
Those with little ones....and a small home....how do you keep it quiet so that your olders can focus?

Any tips would be appreciated!!!  :)  I am thinking about just using 2nd grade stuff to finish out the school year because he is so far behind & they talked about not advancing him last year.  They did anyway, and then this year's 3rd grade teacher said he is significantly behind.  So, I'm thinking a review of 2nd grade things would be best for him & really focusing on the reading.  Then for 3rd grade, I was thinking of using Switched on Schoolhouse because he really enjoys the computer & gets bored easily.  Thoughts??

Thanks ladies!

Dawn
41 yr old, Stay at Home Mommy

BLESSED BY ADOPTION!

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 12:48 PM
Replies (11-18):
SpiritedDragon
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

My oldest son is 11yrs old and has also been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.  He has the same issue with reading and comprehension of the reading.  We live in Florida, and we struggled to get him through 3rd grade, because they have to pass the FCAT which is a Florida state test.  He did pass and managed to get into 4th grade this year.  I am currently in the process of taking my son out of PS, and home school him.  He was held back in 1st grade due to his reading.  He is also in speech, since he was 3yrs old.  I am hoping to get him caught up to where he is needing to be by homeschooling him next year!  Good Luck!  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Welcome!

Quoting SpiritedDragon:

My oldest son is 11yrs old and has also been diagnosed with ADHD and ODD.  He has the same issue with reading and comprehension of the reading.  We live in Florida, and we struggled to get him through 3rd grade, because they have to pass the FCAT which is a Florida state test.  He did pass and managed to get into 4th grade this year.  I am currently in the process of taking my son out of PS, and home school him.  He was held back in 1st grade due to his reading.  He is also in speech, since he was 3yrs old.  I am hoping to get him caught up to where he is needing to be by homeschooling him next year!  Good Luck!  

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Kids are tough no matter how they are schooled.

Quoting LilDsMommy07:

Thanks everyone!  Today was a rough day.  We were supposed to make our decision today.  My husband is back on the 'no' bandwagon because of the hard day I had with my son.  Today, he just pushed every button possible.  He only got 2 things done today with school.  It's such a rough place to be in.  I don't want him to go back to public school because I think he will get lost in the system.  They have already advanced him once when he probably shouldn't have...He is significantly behind.  At the same time, he is soooo lazy & has a really hard time staying focused.  I just don't know what to do. :(

LilDsMommy07
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Thanks a bunch for the info!!  :)

LilDsMommy07
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks everyone for all of the information!  We decided Monday to homeschool!  :)  I started on Monday and things are going well!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Congrats!!!

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:37 PM
I agree with this, as well as suggesting a meeting with his teacher with you dh too. Ask his teacher how many days of the week she finds him being easily distracted, unfocused and arguable. In my house that is daily! But, we just work with it. If he is behind now, he will not catch up at school. Especially the far in the game. If you hold back a first grader, no one remembers. If you hold back a third grader, everyone remembers (and i am pro- don't advance until understood!). Just some other things to consider. Good luck! You guys can do this.

Quoting usmom3:

Your husband needs to know that just because you homeschool doesn't mean that it is all sun shine & rose with your kids education. Homeschoolers have bad days too!

Are you sure he is lazy & has a hard time focusing? Maybe he is board or you aren't doing things that are geared toward his learning style! If you want him to read every thing to learn it & he is a kinetics learner (that is hands one & needs to touch things) he is never going to learn the information to his fullest ability! If you push him to learn in a way that is not natural to him he will struggle with it.

How much work are you wanting him to do a day? is it the same amount you think he dose in PS? If yes you need to realize that they don't learn the whole time the kids are in school 75% of the time is spent on other things like lunch & transitioning from one subject to the next. So take the amount of hours you think he needs to do school work (say 8) & subtract 75% of that time, that should give you 2 hours & yes you can teach him the same amount of stuff in 2 hours that it takes the PS to teach in 8 & your son will learn it better if you teach to his learning style.

Quoting LilDsMommy07:

Thanks everyone!  Today was a rough day.  We were supposed to make our decision today.  My husband is back on the 'no' bandwagon because of the hard day I had with my son.  Today, he just pushed every button possible.  He only got 2 things done today with school.  It's such a rough place to be in.  I don't want him to go back to public school because I think he will get lost in the system.  They have already advanced him once when he probably shouldn't have...He is significantly behind.  At the same time, he is soooo lazy & has a really hard time staying focused.  I just don't know what to do. :(

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sew4fun
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Is your homeschool structured or more laid back?   WE ARE PRETTY LAID BACK HERE , BUT THAT MAY CHANGE I AM JUST NOT SURE YET.

Do you take lots of breaks? YES WE DO , IT SEEMS TO KEEP MY GIRLS FOCUSED. WE TAKE VERY SHORT BREAKS THOUGH.
Do you use a curriculum? NO NOT REALLY , ALTHOUGHT I DO HAVE ABEKA NURSERY CURRICULUM WE USE WITH OTHER STUFF  If so, which one?
Those with little ones....and a small home....how do you keep it quiet so that your olders can focus? I DO SOME SUJECTS TOGETHER AND ACTIVITIES FOR SUBJECTS THAT I KEEP SEPERATE. FOR EXAMPLE WE DO BIBLE/RELIGION TOGETHER AS WELL AS ART AND PHYSICAL EDUCATION. THEN OTHER SUBJECTS THAT ARE NOT NORMALLY DONE TOGETHER I DO SOME ACTIVITIES TOGETHER, THEY WORK ON THEIR "ABC'S TOGETHER AS WELL AS NUMBERS . THEN THE REST OF THE TIME I WILL SEND TRIN (2) IN THE LIVINGROOM TO WATCH EDUCATIONAL MOVIES WITH THE VOLUME DOWN LOW. I ALSO PUT OUT PUZZLES AND BLOCKS FOR HER TO DO WHEN SISSY IS DOING HER WORK, OR JUST A COLORING BOOK AND COLORS.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN