Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Rethinking Time4Learning

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM
  • 13 Replies

I really love their website but even in the few short days that we have been homeschooling I can see some adjustments that need to be made for us.

We don't use the History portion as we are focusing on European history while we are still in Germany. Science is ok and they seem to like that...but I wish that it were easier to see what materials will be needed for the experiments before we start the lesson. I wasn't able to have them do the lesson today because I didn't have everything. They really like the Language Arts and the LA Extensions which is good but the Math, which they originally liked they are now not so in to. It is dragging for them.

When we signed up I had no idea about anything for homeschooling and signed up for Time4Learning as a core curriculum. I am thinking about using it just as a supplement now. Would it make sense to buy some of the Comprehensive Curriculum workbooks at our bookstore here to see if they like the workbook version better before investing in a more expensive curriculum?

I am amazed at how different my boys learn from eachother and am learning what works and what doesn't right now. I think by having an ecclectic approach to learning it will be easier to change things up when I notice something isn't working for one of them.

Anyone use a variety of curriculum or teaching styles? Is it harder to keep records that way?

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2012 at 3:19 PM

I'm eclectic, also. My son learns completely different than my daughter. Keep adjusting and trying different things, it's pat of the fun!

carolkey74
by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
We used Time For Learning for our son when we started homeschooling last year. He loved the LA, but really disliked the history. We switched to using it as a supplement about halfway through the year. I bought Spectrum workbooks, and he did really well with those. This year, we changed to an eclectic approach, and it has worked wonders! Don't be afraid to change things up when you see something isn't working. Good luck!
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 5, 2012 at 5:38 PM

There is nothing wrong with using many different things, matter of fact I don't think any homeschooler has ever found one place to get all their educational things!

BunnyGirl82
by Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Time4Learning is a Great online curriculum!  We use it and love it :)  That being said, nothing will be 100% what you need 100% of the time. I love have something that will cover all the basics, but I also love mixing it up too. I don't believe is spending alot of money on curriculum (why we use T4L) What we like to do on top of using the computer is unit studies! My kids love them, they cover every aspect of learning and when you allow your kids to pick what they want to learn about it makes it soooo much easier to get them to sit down and well Learn lol! I also like going to the curr click site (sometimes you can even find freebies!) Besides that I sometimes print out stuff or by some workbooks from wal-mart... What I would do is not jump the gun and spend a ton of money, but don't feel like you can't take a lil of this and a lil of that to make things balance. HTH Good Luck!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM
That is good to know,I've been considering it. And I agree, change it up! I've had to do that a couple times already and it's only our first year! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:45 PM

I too am eclectic, and like using real life experiences, and what they think is play to teach.  I know of a teacher who moved out to the wilderness, and she had to home school.  She made sure all her kids new the basics real well, and by the age of seven everything was taught with life experiences. 

For example: they built their own house, and the children did research, drew blue prints, and help build the house.  It taught them reading, comprehension, measuring, geometry....All of her children ended up receiving scholarships from Yale University.

It is real important to understand the different learning styles before purchasing curriculum.  It will save you tuns of money.  Here is an article that provides a link to that information:  How To Choose Curriculum.

Also see this article: How To Home School

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I hope you are getting it figured out!

Kelliness
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 11:28 PM
We've used Time4Learning since 2006. At first, there weren't any science supply lists, but now there are a lot more resources in the parent login, including supply lists for each grade.

We have better luck with the math program when we make sure to include the printable worksheets.

I consider us to be eclectic homeschoolers, but Time4Learning is the one thing we do every day. That way, I know all of the basics are covered when we don't have time for extras.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nybbles808
by New Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM

We are trying homeschool again for the second time (after some unpleasant private school experiences.). DS is enjoying it more this time. We are using T4L as well, but I do feel I need more supplementation in addition to what they give us. I am using it more as a guideline and add worksheets and extra practice on math and study on other subjects.

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:55 PM

We just started using T4L as a supplement a couple months ago.  My son loves it but I really only use it on the 2 days a week that I have to leave him with a sitter to go to school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN