Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I really love their website but even in the few short days that we have been homeschooling I can see some adjustments that need to be made for us.

We don't use the History portion as we are focusing on European history while we are still in Germany. Science is ok and they seem to like that...but I wish that it were easier to see what materials will be needed for the experiments before we start the lesson. I wasn't able to have them do the lesson today because I didn't have everything. They really like the Language Arts and the LA Extensions which is good but the Math, which they originally liked they are now not so in to. It is dragging for them.

When we signed up I had no idea about anything for homeschooling and signed up for Time4Learning as a core curriculum. I am thinking about using it just as a supplement now. Would it make sense to buy some of the Comprehensive Curriculum workbooks at our bookstore here to see if they like the workbook version better before investing in a more expensive curriculum?

I am amazed at how different my boys learn from eachother and am learning what works and what doesn't right now. I think by having an ecclectic approach to learning it will be easier to change things up when I notice something isn't working for one of them.

Anyone use a variety of curriculum or teaching styles? Is it harder to keep records that way?

by on Jan. 5, 2012 at 2:04 PM
Replies (11-13):
pandahoneybee
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I use/used it for both my boys (oldest aged out this year) and I just loved the LA/LA ext/Math! I let the boys do the SS and science as they wanted to, we tend to do other things for those subjects. I totally use it as an awesome supplemental for the youngest still it covers everything and even went over a couple of things that i have missed!! Homeschooling to me is always changing but T4L is the only thing I kept, it is way cheaper than a lot of the programs out there and it makes learning fun for my kiddos. Hope this helps in some way!!

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Mar. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
I have 2 drastically different learners. But for both T4L didn't work for us once we hit the 2nd grade level. And i've always felt it is a great supplement, not core curriculum.

Because my kids are so different we do a lot of project based learning. They decide they want to learn about Ancient Rome (or whatever) and i make suree to supply them w/ tons of materials. Then they can procede w/ their own learning style.
awilliams77
by on Mar. 8, 2012 at 7:59 PM
Online things can be good, but my feeling is that younger students or kinesthetic learners need more hands on activities. Don't be afraid to use differnt methods for differnt children in different subjects. That's what homeschooling is all about!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN