Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

new here HI* and SOO LOST! help please

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM
  • 12 Replies

Hi everyone my name is Susan i live in northern NH  i have 4 kids 11,9,6,&2 my older 3 were going to our local school till 3 days before winter break - christmas- and weve had issues w/ the school distrect since my oldest was in K well i had enough and pulled all of them from school and now plan on homeschooling them but i have no idea where to start what to teach them ect... there is no where up here to go to for support or questions i did check our state law and all i have to do  and did was let the distrect know that im homeschooling them have the letter and they have to pass a test at the end of the yr (when ever that is) to prove that there learning other than that your on your own up here and where we live its in the middle of no where not many store and the libarys dont carry much  my older 3 are in 5th,3rd,and 1st grades   my oldest has adhd and has a hard time sitting still long enough to take anyhting in  his hand writting it worse than my 6 yr olds (its gotten worse over time) and also has some other issues my younger son he did pretty good in school n my older daughter has speech issues  and to give a little back round  my highes grd completed is 6th went to 7th 3 times before i left because of the same issues i pull my kids for because i wasnt about to let it happen to them to  i also have adhd and have to have more of a visual and hands on to learn and i think my oldest might be the same way     but as for starting school im sooo lost  i dont know what to do and hope you girls can help me  i know i want it to be fun for them but they can work on text books to so i can try to do some 1 on 1 while the others are doing there work  if that makes since  im sorry this is so long but im just so lost  please help thank you for reading this

by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Hello! If you look through our group, you'll see lots of links and such to free or nearly free material.

Here are two I think will really help you:

This is free grammar and writing workbooks, all the way up to the sixth grade

Scott Foresman link

Starfall.com- this is excellent to help your kids learn and improve their reading

youtube is a great resource! Look up The Real Bill Nye for great episodes on Science. Youtube also has teachers on there teaching every type of lesson, math, science, reading, social studies, anything! I find this helpful since Math is my weak point.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Your kids may also need time to 'deschool' and shake off the bad time they had. You can use this time to prepare. Many suggest one month off, per year of school, but I wouldn't wait *that* long but A few weeks more, will really help.

Also, Amazon used books and half.com can provide cheap books or texts.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM

If you have a computer with Internet & a printer you are set! A great Library is also an asset but if you don't have one that isn't going to hurt you because you can do e-books on the computer. Netflix is a great resource, there is a free curriculum website called theheadoftheclass it has stuff for pre-k up to 5Thgrade. There are other sits if you can afford it that can be used to help educate them time4learning & jumpstart . I hope this helps!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Quoting mem82:

Your kids may also need time to 'deschool' and shake off the bad time they had. You can use this time to prepare. Many suggest one month off, per year of school, but I wouldn't wait *that* long but A few weeks more, will really help.

Also, Amazon used books and half.com can provide cheap books or texts.

I second the deschooling!

calimom1123
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:59 PM
If you are looking for set curriculums there are alot that come with the planning done for you. We like abeka curriculum.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amommyslife03
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 5:46 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you girls we are doing the deschooling right now  just letting them relax and staying u to watch tv n just getting the school system out of there mind  but there so borded  so today i picked up a couple of books at the book store they didnt have much but i got this for grd 3 and grd 5 her is a pic of it - link  and then i got this for my youngest for 1st grd link w/ pic   but as for a curiclem i have no clue i know i want it to be fun and hands on  but also w/ the work books   im still checcking into some sites on here(comp) 

amommyslife03
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 6:07 PM
1 mom liked this

thank you for the links i will check them out tonight when the kids go to bed and i can get some quite  sry about post above was tryingt to type while on the phone and kids yelling lol  i had someone tell me about learning academy, then i saw learning adventures and math u see on here so im going to check thoese out and someone else had mentioned abelk (sp) to me  but i think my hardest part is going to decide how we are going to home school i know (sry if said before) but i would like so they can work out of some work books and then well do some hands on  i know we can watch some movies and stuff for history and get books for thoese and sicence have our own expermients  but as to what there supposted to be learning and when i dont know   i do know i want to try to make it fun if possable   there is a place up here  its a planterium that will be having a homeschooling day comig up in the next week or 2 i was thinking about taking them there  as we all love stars and plantes  so that would be cool    sorry im all over the place  my mind dose it to me with the adhd that i have myself  if you can understand all of it thank you very much  and thanks for the help its a big help

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Boredom is a good thing, My kids are the most creative with their play when it is prompted by boredom!

Quoting amommyslife03:

thank you girls we are doing the deschooling right now  just letting them relax and staying u to watch tv n just getting the school system out of there mind  but there so borded  so today i picked up a couple of books at the book store they didnt have much but i got this for grd 3 and grd 5 her is a pic of it - link  and then i got this for my youngest for 1st grd link w/ pic   but as for a curiclem i have no clue i know i want it to be fun and hands on  but also w/ the work books   im still checcking into some sites on here(comp) 

nadiamomof4
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Soo much to say!!! 

We removed our oldest from public school because he was struggling and they were not willing to aknowledge it, nor help him. We have made major advances with him since bringing him home and his attitude and behavior have improved so much! The next two have done very well at home as well. I hope I never have to put one of our kids back in public school. 

Math u see is hard to jump into the middle of. It would be fine for your 1st grader, but would be confusing for your older kids b/c it uses different words and teaching methods than most math curriculums.

One question: Are you planning to use a Christian perspective when teaching or a secular one? That can determine which curriculum you may want. Abeka is good, but definitely Christian. Whether you want Christian or not, CBD (Christian Book Distributors website: www.Christianbook.com) has materials for either, as a lot of homeschoolers use it.

I would recommend an affordable Spelling curricula that you can use with all your kids NOW and that is The Spell of Words. The teachers guide was $7.29 when I bought it a few weeks ago and the workbook was $12.69.  Quite affordable b/c it can be used for several years, not just 1 and can be used with all 3 kids! ! I am also using Singapore Math which is affordable too! (There is more than one Singapore line - I am using the US Edition) It doesn't have a million problems on each page so the student doesn't get overwhelemed.

Since you are wondering what they should learn when, you should be able to find information on the web about scope and sequence which will give you an idea about what they should learn when. Not all homeschoolers follow these guides though. They either follow a particular curriculum that has everything laid out, or they just keep track of what they are learnin and cycle through material, repeating material multiple times throughout their childs education. If you're worried about your 6th grader passing tests this year, find out what he was studying in history and check out books at the library, do they same with science...If they were studying physical science, go that direction, etc. 

Charlotte Mason  is a method used by many with hands on learners. (It is Christian, therefore incorporates the bible into the daily schedule. You would decide what to teach, I just want to tell you about the method because it is so good for hands-on learners.) It would be completely different. You would be doing a lot with your kids (like nature walks and art and stories for history rather than bland fact books) and you all would be reading short parts of books together (rather than long class periods) and they would have more freedom to move (thinking of ADHA kid) I have a friend with an autistic kid who uses it and I use it partially with my children who have learning disabilities.

It's tough to get started, but sooo much less stressfull in the long run and it's wonderful to watch them be able to advance in their areas of interest and to be able to really help them in the areas they struggle. If you get stuck, ask moms on here for ideas.

I hope at least some of this help. Good luck!

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

With some support it is quite easy to home school.  Actually it is easier than having to straighten out what happens to kids in the Public School system.  Your State Home School Association is the best place to start, and this article will help you find your, and it also provides lots more information.

How To Home School

Many active children are misdiagnosed as having ADHD. The problem is not with these children but with the way they are taught.  This article explains: The Hands On Learner

There are other things that are misdiagnosed as learning disabilities as well: Treat Causes Not Symptoms

Nine times out of ten if a child is having trouble reading (that effects every subject) it is because they are pronouncing some of the sounds incorrectly.  For example if they  say du for d, they will sound out daddy like du-a-du-y making it hard for them to hear the correct word. This does not effect all children, but it does many of them.  So if any of your children are having trouble reading which is very common these days, this video will help:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)