Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to homeschooling...need advice!

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM
  • 7 Replies

Hi!  I have 3 kids and my oldest is 8 and in 3rd grade.  I have been wanting to homeschool her for a year but being a single mom it is a big decision.  I am fortunate enough to be able to stay at home and with all the things she is telling me that is happening in school I just dont want her to go.  She got diagnosed with ADHD last August so I thought it would be better for her to learn one on one.  My second child is 4 and her bday is August 31 so she would have to wait another year before she could even go to school and I dont want to wait that long.  And my son is 2 and a half so I would  have some time before I have to start with him!  I want my kids to have a Christ centered life and the school is taking that out completely.  Anyways, any ideas would help me so much!!!! Thanks!

by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

It is great that you are able to stay at home even though you are single.  I hope you do home educate your DC.  It is such a blessing and amazing experience.  You are able to tailor to their needs and interests.  It is also best in that you can protect them from all the immorality and violence of public schools. The Lord told us as parents that we are to teach our children "all day long of Him".  That is impossible to do when they are in that horrible environment all day.  I have been home educating all my children for over 19 yrs and still love it.  I am now down to my last one at home as all the others have now graduated and most have families of their own.  I have many grandchildren also that are also being educated at home now.  It is great!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I would look into doing the 'workbox' system or modifiying it to fit your family. It can be a big help for kids with ADHD.

Welcome and goodluck!

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 7, 2012 at 12:07 PM

I agree with Mem! I also wanted to  tell you. homeschooling can be done by a single parent. I have a friend that is homeschooling her DD & is single. She has to work outside the home so her parents watch her daughter while she works & then they do school when she is home from work.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 6:21 AM

Home School is great, but it is not for everyone. That being said, mothers always seem to have a natural instinct when it comes to their own children.  So trust that, and it sounds like you are being guided to home educate your children.

Do single parents home school.  Yes they do, and you have an advantage over many in that you  stay home .

Here is an article with tons of information to help you get started: How To Home School

Nichole1331
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Thank you for the kind words.  I have recently ordered the items for my youngest two kids.  I look forward to starting with them and seeing where that goes!!  I do plan on homeschooling my oldest as well but am going to wait until this fall!  I truly feel the Lord is calling me to do all that I can to raise my children for Him and this is one of those things I can do!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Welcome to the group!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KBolstridge
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:23 AM

I am a veteran home-school mom. Two children: one is a junior in high school and the other is in college now. I wish I had read this book when they were younger as it would have made our home-schooling experience even more successful: It's Just My Nature by Carol Tuttle. Understanding how I am naturally and how they are naturally would have completely changed our approach and our understanding of how we each do things. I highly recommend this to any home-schooling family, but truly to ALL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)