Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

*Update with my review of MGT*My daughter digging for dinosaur bones...:)

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
  • 9 Replies

While I was at work my boyfriend did some activities from the lesson plan book from the Mother Goose Time kit I got in the mail the day before.  This was his own idea based on one of the activities in the book.  The activity in the book wanted you to use some purple cut outs (like a bird and shape) and cover them with shredded paper and then "dig for purple dinosaur bones" but he thought that would be too easy for her so he came up with this cute idea :).  I really really like Mother Goose Time.  I'll definitely be ordering this every month!!!

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
victoriaherring
by Member on Jan. 7, 2012 at 11:43 PM
Aw that was so sweet. And a great idea!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
P.N._Guin
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 12:38 AM
Cute, cute, cute!!

I have been going back and forth between MGT and Timberdoodle for my soon-to-be preschooler. Maybe you could shed some light for me. MGT seems to be a lot of cut outs and paper activities, which my son sometimes does well with, but Timberdoodle looks like a lot of fun!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hottmommi42
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 2:15 AM
Aa! Good job daddy!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I dont' know too much about Timberdoodle, but I read lots of reviews comparing the two.  More people liked MGT better so I decided to go with them.  I'm glad I did, their customer service is AWESOME, and I like their set up.  

They do have activities in their book that say "ask the group" or "dismiss the children using this method" but its super easy to do it with just one child.  For example this month's theme is "Dinosaur Dig" and Day 1 is about "Palenontologist".  

In circle time it says to discuss "Who do you think a paleontologist is?" and then it tells you what they do if you can't think of a good explanation, so it tells you "A paleontologist is a person who studies things from a long time ago. This includes scientists that study fossils, bones and other items found in rocks and dirt.  Some paleontologists study dinosaur bones". 

Then it has activies for the Calendar and Weather. 

Then it has 4 different ideas for discussion and activies using the items coming in that days packet.  

My daughter is 3.5 years old and she had so much fun doing these activities.  There is a day of the week song on the circle time CD and the child is supposed to jump when they hear the day of the week.  This month also came with a CD with dinosaur songs on it, that tie into some of the activities.  

There is a storyboard poster that has dinosaurs on it and in one of the activities the child is supposed to look at the poster and share what they see.  My daugher is already a huge dinosaur fan so she named all the dinosaurs and told him what they ate (plants or animals) and said the T-Rex's eggs were hatching.  

Each day has a differen theme...for example day 2 is "Dirt Digging" day 3 is "Fossils" day 4 is "bones" and so on.  

I really like the program.  My 3 year old now knows what a paleontologist does and what fossils are from just day 1.  I'm excited to do the rest of the month with her! :) 

Hope this review helps!

Quoting P.N._Guin:

Cute, cute, cute!!

I have been going back and forth between MGT and Timberdoodle for my soon-to-be preschooler. Maybe you could shed some light for me. MGT seems to be a lot of cut outs and paper activities, which my son sometimes does well with, but Timberdoodle looks like a lot of fun!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Is it expensive?

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 5:06 PM

It is $52 a month (if you buy more months at once you get a discount...like 10% off of 3 months etc).  And considering how much you get and the convienence of it it is worth it and not that expensive.  I work full time and am a single mom, my boyfriend just moved in with me (my daughters father is dead so he isn't her dad) but having this program saves me a lot of time trying to find things to do and coming up with activities since I'm at work all day.  Its really neat.  

Quoting mem82:

Is it expensive?

hottmommi42
by on Jan. 8, 2012 at 5:48 PM

really sorry about my "daddy" comment!! He is just so natural and there seems to be a bond that it "felt' like a father/daughter moment. I hope you werent offended, I was nearly in tears when I was watching the vid cus it was so cute! 

Quoting armygirl16:

It is $52 a month (if you buy more months at once you get a discount...like 10% off of 3 months etc).  And considering how much you get and the convienence of it it is worth it and not that expensive.  I work full time and am a single mom, my boyfriend just moved in with me (my daughters father is dead so he isn't her dad) but having this program saves me a lot of time trying to find things to do and coming up with activities since I'm at work all day.  Its really neat.  

Quoting mem82:

Is it expensive?

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Dont' worry about it :) I wasn't offended.  He is so great with her :)

Quoting hottmommi42:

really sorry about my "daddy" comment!! He is just so natural and there seems to be a bond that it "felt' like a father/daughter moment. I hope you werent offended, I was nearly in tears when I was watching the vid cus it was so cute! 

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting mem82:

Is it expensive?

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Hm, I think I'm going look into this more. 8)

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting mem82:

Is it expensive?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)