Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP PLEASE!

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM
  • 5 Replies

I've never homeschooled but am seriously thinking it might be a good idea. My 7 year old is in 1st. He stayed back in kindergarten and is not doing so well in first. His teacher is very concerned. It's come down to going to the doctor because he has become a distraction to the class. I've mentioned this to the doctor since pre-school but they just tell me that's how boys are. Need advice! Does anyone homeschool a child with ADD/ADHD? Is it difficult to homeschool for someone who's never done it before? What do you do when you don't understand something? What would be my first steps to getting started?

by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
TheHappyChicken
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 3:28 PM

I homeschool my kids and My first boy was a bit of a challenge, he is very stubborn..

The first thing to do, if I was you is give him a couple of weeks to just relax and not do any school.. figure out where he is at... does he know how to read? what about writing, where is he in math??  How does he learn best?

When I don't understand something that i need to help my kids with, I take the time to learn it.. one of the joys of homeschooling is that you can learn something and teach it to them at the same time. 

partyperfect
by on Jan. 9, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Hi! I'm considering homeschool as well, and feel so torn about all the reactions from family and friends. I know deep down this is a decision that is right for my family. My situation is a little different, my 4th grader, who has always excelled, is going through anxiety and it is affecting the entire family. Aside from school, every other area in her life is completely normal. She is a active member at church and participating in drama and choir. I know that with much determination and standing firm with our decisions homeschooling will change their future for the best.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I tutor many ADD/ADHD at home.  When our society was made up of Farmers and Ranchers these children were highly valued.  But now that we are more sedimentary, they are not so appreciated. The Public School system is especially not designed for them.  They have to release energy regularly in order to concentrate.  I give them many breaks to run around the house, play learning games that have activities incorporated into them, do jumping jacks, ext

One of my little ones lets me know when it is time for an energy release by walking around and around his chair.  It is so cute.  I will ask him if he needs to run around the trailer once, and he sometimes says I need two times. :-)

Hands on learners are often diagnosed as having ADD/ADHD.  Here is a video to explain;

If that sounds like your little boy, see this article for more information: Hands On Learners

This article may also help: Conditions that Can Cause Or Mimic Learning Disabilities

wright1212
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I HS a son with ADHD, severe autism, epilepsy.  I personally would go to a developmental psychologist. They spend a bit of time and can dx those things. PLUS give you great advice. ALSO with a dx its easier to pin point certain strategies and in some cases receive support to homeschool. My son gets therapy and is getting Ipad from the school. Most peds are useless unless your child has a cold-JMO. Forget what others think, talk with your son and do what is best for him

B-t-w i think my DD has mild ADD. She yelled at me yesterday that she never got in trouble at school and wants to go back, I had to give her nice reality check that yes her teachers called me every couple of days with her not staying on task and getting in trouble. I explained that is 1 reason she is home now, so I can help her stay on track, break up the day to fit her schedule. Like today when I drew a world map on our 3x4 dry erase so she could label oceans. She wanted to use the globe and asked what is a country and a continent. At home we can drop current topic, answer questions, go potty, then get back to oceans! <3 it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)