Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Wasting time...aka rant

Posted by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
  • 18 Replies

My son is waisting time, lots of it. He is 7. At lunch he picked out what he wanted to do for school for the day. Use an online Scott Foreman science book to conntinue to learn about matter. He listened to a science song that goes with the chapter, and baisicly did the lesson with me how his public school peers would. he enjoyed it. Then the last little part of the lesson was to write 3 sentences telling about water in diferent states. He spent 1 hour doing this.

Finnaly afterward I had him put the paper and pencil away and run up and down both flights of stairs 5 times, wash huis face, and go to  the bathroom before returning to work because it had been an hour and a half since we started.

Then he went to the next thing on his list, that he made might I add. Reading from a reading text book. He read the story then verbaly answered on comprehension questions and for 45 min has been working on the following "Write:Write 2 sentences that tell what Frog and Toad might do in a new story. Add a title." So far he has written Frog and Toad mig   . Thats it. , well in the time it has taken me to write this and tell him to get back to work a bunch of times he has finished writing might and added have a. ><

I have reminded him that when he finishes he and gets his chores done he will be free until time for bed. I have told him to fucus, concentrait, stay on task, think only about what he needs to do, get busy, and just plain yelled his name.Also the next thing on your list is math so just get it done so you can do math. Are you happy right now? "NOOOOOO" shaking his head violenetly from side to side. Then just get it done. Stop playing with your shadows and get it done.

When he decides to do it it takes less than 5 minutes. arg he is capable.

He spent a week at Dad's house the week before last. I knew last week would be a bit hard because of that. Monday he got home and he spent all day getting his school work done.

When he decides its not worth it there is no changing his mind.

We have drastically changed we way we do school work several times. We have changed rooms. I have geven him large amounts of freedom regarding content. None the less he still waists time.

He is begining to bridge that gap bewteen static thinking and concrete thinking. he is not all the way there yet.

It has now been over an hour. Over and hour to write 2 sentences and a title.

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hottmommi42
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this
Don't you feel blessed to homeschool with these situations? Think of what he would be going through if he were forced into the classroom. I do know how frustrating it is though. Maybe next time he can do soap boats to learn about water surface tension, and make a video instead of writing. Maybe there is something bothering him? Maybe he just doesn't want to today. I have those days as the teacher. So, we don't. We find something else to do. Lol. Idk, its a rough frustrating place to be though. Sorry! Don't duct tape him! I promise it will get better. Even tomorrow will be better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Sounds to me like he hates to write! How important is this writing to you? He is 7 he has plenty of time to learn & perfect writing. If you force a child to do something they hate all they learn from the lesson is to hate the subject more & to think you are mean for forcing them! Children learn so much better when what they are learning is enjoyable to them. You are the teacher & you can change the assignment to suit him!

rsrangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 8:35 PM

My son will be 7 in a couple weeks.  He did similarly - dragging any type of writing assignment out for hours because he hated it.  I switched things up because of this and now its so much better.  In my opinion (and this is just an opinion), it sounds like a lot of changes (like you said) including going to dad's house where things are different then coming home - some kids do better on a schedule.  Of course that will change when he goes to dads but atleast he knows the routine when hes back home with mom.  My oldest HAS to know whats going on, HAS to see whats coming up next, etc.  whereas my youngest could care less and goes with the flow.  I go to school myself and I noticed that when I'm on my breaks from the semester and we stick to our schedule, my oldest does wonderfully.  But as soon as I start back to school and have to leave a couple days a week, he started having behavioral and homeschooling problems.  Soooo, I started using the workbox system with him which has done WONDERS!  and I got my mom involved (who he stays with when I have class).  He can see whats coming up next on his "schedule" which I prepare every evening or morning for him with pre-prepared velcro cards (including snack, lunch, play breaks, me leaving/coming home, etc)....therefore he knows that to get to the snack one he first has to do the ones in front of it (which I always make grammer, spelling and any handwriting activity because he hates those most).  He doesn't drag his feet anymore!!  He just pulls off the velco card and throws it in the box when that thing is done and moves to the next thing.  The only time we don't do this is one weekends or any day we have off of homeschooling. 

Also, look for ways to make reading comprehansion more fun for him, or atleast not as painful.  With my son, we read the story then if he has to come up with sentences we would discuss them together (I don't come up with sentences for him but guide him in thinking of one on his own), then once he has his sentences decided I write them on the whiteboard and he copies them.  Or if they are short I will have him remember and write them himself helping to spell words he may not know.  He also likes to retell or summarize stories in pictures too instead of writing.  Sometimes we'll forget all that and just discuss the story (asking him questions or having him summarize it for me), then we'll do a fun project in regards to the story.  And lastly, sometimes we do one of the above then he'll like to stand in front of his younger siblings or daddy and act out or tell the story to them showing them the work he did. 

Good luck!  Thankfully tomorrow is another day!  :)

ummcarter
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Quoting rsrangel:

Thanks

We tried work boxes but it as soon as the newness wore off the same thing happened. He does better with a schedual but as soon as the newness wears off he is at it again.

He is my little clone but i went to public school so cercumstances were diferent for me.

I thought for a while that it was power struggle and some times it is but I don't think thats all there is to it.

Currently he is sitting being bored as he calls it. I have to get after him less often and it stresses me out less. Since he isn't going to do anything anyway.

I explained in the past a multitude of times why i feel its important for his sake to do his school work. A few times including today i expolained why its important for me.

I have made the environemet discraction free. I started asking him, "What do you want to lean about." I even helped him make a list of what he wanted to do. The list really should have taken him 4 to 4 1/2  hours including breaks.  With out completing his list it has taken 6 1/2 hours.

He LOVEs to read to I tried making a book list and telling him go after it but then he didn't do that even. ARRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Just get it done already! Start something, finish it.

He likes and/or doesn't mind the comprehension questions its the fact he must write anything down he doesn't like.

If I turn my head away from him, MY HEAD ><, he goes off task. 

If I just entirely leave him up to his own devices he will watch TV, read books and play legos. Thats it.

I have tried using legos in our learning but it becomes such a distraction we dont actually do anything.  He doesn't want to read unless he picks it out and of course he doesn't want to read books that are challenging. I have tried incorperating videos into school work but then he wont get on or stay on task afterward.

I tried just saying go pick something from any of our school stuff to do but then he wont stay on task after he has picked something out!

Contrast ALL this with when he wants to he can gets stuff done. I just dont posess the insperation he needs to get anything completed unless I breath down his neck every single second............................

can you tell I am frustraited? oh well we'll get it figured out

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I had my seven-year-old son read this because it made me laugh. It made him laugh too because we both recognized it!

My son loves, loves to stay up late, so I have told him that he can stay up as long as he is working on school work for the next day. It's amazing how on task he stays when he knows it's bed time as soon as he's off task. He can do his work in at least half the time, maybe a third of the time it normally takes.Then, he has a big chunk of the day off the next day.

Also, he really enjoyed learning to write cursive, which made writing more enjoyable for him. Start slowly with that. We used a program called Cursive Writing Easy and Fun through Scholastic. It starts off really slow and not writing at all really. By the time they're learning actual letters, they can see the enjoyment of it. He will write more now just because he thinks cursive is fun.

ummcarter
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Quoting 0123456:

I had my seven-year-old son read this because it made me laugh. It made him laugh too because we both recognized it!

My son loves, loves to stay up late, so I have told him that he can stay up as long as he is working on school work for the next day. It's amazing how on task he stays when he knows it's bed time as soon as he's off task. He can do his work in at least half the time, maybe a third of the time it normally takes.Then, he has a big chunk of the day off the next day.

Also, he really enjoyed learning to write cursive, which made writing more enjoyable for him. Start slowly with that. We used a program called Cursive Writing Easy and Fun through Scholastic. It starts off really slow and not writing at all really. By the time they're learning actual letters, they can see the enjoyment of it. He will write more now just because he thinks cursive is fun.

Actully I would absolutly love that and I have asked him in the past if he would like a pen pal and he thought it sounded great.Let me know if he would really like to do it.

we actually started learning cursive and when he wants to get out of writing he will say "Oh I should write this in cursive." And gets out his cursive book and piddles around looking for the first letter for the next hour or so. He likes cursive ok.

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like my 10 year old. I feel for you. :(

ummcarter
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Quoting bmw29:

lol no no you are supposed to say Oh I remember that but life is all roses now LOL

bmw29
by Bronze Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Quoting ummcarter:

Quoting bmw29:

lol no no you are supposed to say Oh I remember that but life is all roses now LOL

I do remember that...from yesterday. LOL sorry! I wish I had better news for you. I have been fighting this battle for years.

ummcarter
by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:25 PM

LOL you're mean LOL

Quoting bmw29: 

I do remember that...from yesterday. LOL sorry! I wish I had better news for you. I have been fighting this battle for years.

now why does the Beatles song Yesterday pop in my head lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN