Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son is waisting time, lots of it. He is 7. At lunch he picked out what he wanted to do for school for the day. Use an online Scott Foreman science book to conntinue to learn about matter. He listened to a science song that goes with the chapter, and baisicly did the lesson with me how his public school peers would. he enjoyed it. Then the last little part of the lesson was to write 3 sentences telling about water in diferent states. He spent 1 hour doing this.

Finnaly afterward I had him put the paper and pencil away and run up and down both flights of stairs 5 times, wash huis face, and go to  the bathroom before returning to work because it had been an hour and a half since we started.

Then he went to the next thing on his list, that he made might I add. Reading from a reading text book. He read the story then verbaly answered on comprehension questions and for 45 min has been working on the following "Write:Write 2 sentences that tell what Frog and Toad might do in a new story. Add a title." So far he has written Frog and Toad mig   . Thats it. , well in the time it has taken me to write this and tell him to get back to work a bunch of times he has finished writing might and added have a. ><

I have reminded him that when he finishes he and gets his chores done he will be free until time for bed. I have told him to fucus, concentrait, stay on task, think only about what he needs to do, get busy, and just plain yelled his name.Also the next thing on your list is math so just get it done so you can do math. Are you happy right now? "NOOOOOO" shaking his head violenetly from side to side. Then just get it done. Stop playing with your shadows and get it done.

When he decides to do it it takes less than 5 minutes. arg he is capable.

He spent a week at Dad's house the week before last. I knew last week would be a bit hard because of that. Monday he got home and he spent all day getting his school work done.

When he decides its not worth it there is no changing his mind.

We have drastically changed we way we do school work several times. We have changed rooms. I have geven him large amounts of freedom regarding content. None the less he still waists time.

He is begining to bridge that gap bewteen static thinking and concrete thinking. he is not all the way there yet.

It has now been over an hour. Over and hour to write 2 sentences and a title.

by on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM
Replies (11-18):
bmw29
by Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Quoting ummcarter:

LOL you're mean LOL

Quoting bmw29: 

I do remember that...from yesterday. LOL sorry! I wish I had better news for you. I have been fighting this battle for years.

now why does the Beatles song Yesterday pop in my head lol

Maybe because my son's favorite band in the whole universe is the Beatles. LOL

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:51 AM
I have to remind my 6.5 year old dd to focus all the time!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:53 AM

HAHAHAHA! Too true!

Quoting hottmommi42:

Don't you feel blessed to homeschool with these situations? Think of what he would be going through if he were forced into the classroom. I do know how frustrating it is though. Maybe next time he can do soap boats to learn about water surface tension, and make a video instead of writing. Maybe there is something bothering him? Maybe he just doesn't want to today. I have those days as the teacher. So, we don't. We find something else to do. Lol. Idk, its a rough frustrating place to be though. Sorry! Don't duct tape him! I promise it will get better. Even tomorrow will be better.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Have you tried a timer? And maybe a chart that goes with it? Everytime he gets done before the timer, he gets a 'check' or sticker. So many stickers, such and such as a prize?

dazguti
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Just have him narrate his answers/thoughts/ideas, and you write them down. Try to slowly get back to writing later. Or if you feel he really needs to stick with it, have him write just the title or first few words then narrate the rest.
wildmama3
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Completely with you on this one. I think my son does this just to see how far he can push me. He is 10 and claims he does not need to do school because how could he possibly need to know more than he does now. (His words). Even if I threaten him with taking away his fishing and hunting time with Dad, he still takes 2 hours to write out 20 spelling words for the week. He usually succeeds in making me go bonkers. Lately I've been doing his school in 15 or 20 minute incruments. He seems to be staying a little more focused. It may take him longer to get his stuff done but he actually works on his stuff better. After the 15 or 20 minutes is up, he runs around the house or whatever he wants for 5-10 minutes than buckles back down.

Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Quoting mem82:

Have you tried a timer? And maybe a chart that goes with it? Everytime he gets done before the timer, he gets a 'check' or sticker. So many stickers, such and such as a prize?

My dd used to need to know exactly when something started and ended, or she would take all day for ONE thing.  Use a timer and say you start at this time and when the timer goes off and what isn't done gets put away.  My dd didn't like ending in the middle of things.  Now she gets things done with in a reasonable amount of time, without the time.  Though if she starts it again, I will bring out the timer again.

ummcarter
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 2:42 PM

I tired timing him using the alarm on the computer, didn't help much. I even bought a kitchen time and all that did was make him facinated with the darn thing.

We just started school for the day and since we sat down I have had to promtp him to get on task 3x in 5 minutes. he is being over the top. He even gets to cook after his school work is done. (He wants to be a chef, at least this week he does.)

He is not a finisher. If he starts something I feel strongly he needs to finish it. Of course there are plenty of exceptions but if he sets a realistic goal, he decides to work for it, then he needs to finish it, unless the is some specail cercumstance. Thats my feeling at least.

I do not like that I feel like I am bending over backward to help him and he "just doesn't want to do it"

IDK maybe this will get easier soon.

I am thinking maybe do a little math, reading and writing then spend time in the kitchen learning how to cook. (Bringing along paper and pencil for when ever we might need it.)

The problem with that is getting through the basics.

He is still kind of stuck at that 6 year old perfectionist thing. I have to remind him its ok if you don't get it right, just try.

I really just want to get the basic stuff done each day so we can move on to other stuff but we rarely get done with the basics.

Persistance is the number one issue

Quoting Silverkitty:

Quoting mem82:

My dd used to need to know exactly when something started and ended, or she would take all day for ONE thing.  Use a timer and say you start at this time and when the timer goes off and what isn't done gets put away.  My dd didn't like ending in the middle of things.  Now she gets things done with in a reasonable amount of time, without the time.  Though if she starts it again, I will bring out the timer again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)