Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Update..need some advice, huge problem.

Posted by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

My ds who is 5.5 has been in kindergarten in ps since the start of the year. I had every intention of letting him finish out the year and go to full time hs this next school year. Through out this year I have been backing up the schools teachings with my own hs curric. Here is the problem. I got my sons report card today and nearly everything on this report card is a P (p=needs improvement). I know 110% my son knows this stuff he does all of it and beyond at home. Every single worksheet i have him do or every paper work i have him do gets sent to school so the teacher can look at it.

Anyways my question is. If I were to pull my son out of his ps now would he go into 1st grade in august or would he remain on the kindergarten curric. We're in KS and KS law states no child HAS to be enrolled in school until the age of 7 and my son took the placement for a virtual school program last week and according to it he is ready for 1st grade and has 2nd grade math skills. His bday is in june so he would be 6 before the new school year started.

I withdrew my son out yesterday. I had to fill out a form (which isnt actually required) and had to meet with the principal. She had the nerve to tell me that KS law is children have to be enrolled in school at 6 when it is actually 7. I have done my research and know what the law is. The second thing she had the nerve to do was tell me "we get a lot of homeschool kids here and they are always behind, there is a huge gap between them and the other students" It took everything I had at that point to control myself. I told her that I did not believe that were true and if indeed it were true then the parents were not doing their jobs properly or their child was not a homeschool child. I told her homeschool is not for every child and its not for every parent, perhaps the parents saw that their child was not doing well in a homeschool setting which is why they placed them into that school. I told her even my son's teacher expressed to me that if I were not supplamenting with homeschool he would not be as advanced as he is.... When asked why jmy son was failed she said because he had 10.5 missed days. I informed her they were all excused and she said it didnt matter. That is when I went off on her explaining that apparently i'm a horrible mother and my son deserves to fail because i dont send him to school with a migrane, or while hes on codine the first 2 days he breaks his foot in 2 placed, or the two times he quit breathing and he was put into the hospital for 24 hour observation, or when I have drs orders to keep him home because he was suffering from exhaustion when he came back from his dads house. Yeah needless to say i'm so glad I pulled him and If I were to ever put my son back into the ps system it will NOT be at that school. 

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

if you pull him out now you can just finish his KG currciulum at home and move him up to 1st grade in august .  Are you putting him in a virtual school or will you be teaching him?  The great thing about homeschooling is you can go as fast or as slow as the child needs.

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I will be using K12 for next year simply because we'll need the accountability. After that I'll go back to what I have done through out this year. If I do the k12 next year will they count his at home kg curriculum as completing the grade or would i need to register as a private homeschool for it to count?

Lostinindy
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM
1 mom liked this
I would contact k12 and ask. They are going to know how they handle it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I would talk to K12 about it, but I'm pretty sure he would just get put into 1st grade next year if he can do the work.

Good luck and welcome to homeschooling!

pepsi_lover_mom
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Thank you ladies so much for the advice.

I have decided either way he is going to get pulled and if k12 puts him in kindergarten due to him not finishing it out my son can whip through it and move on to first grade as soon as he is done and I am ok with that.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 12, 2012 at 8:17 PM
Bump!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)