Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Frustrated and disapointed in my self.

Posted by   + Show Post

I am so frustrated with not only myself but my 5yo. She does not seem to be learning . No matter what I do she just does not seem to get it . That is where I am frustrated with my self, I feel I am failing her. I am frustrated with her becuase she does not seem to want to listen , and then when I ask her something she just makes stuff up . Today we did not start school untill late because no one was feeling well and hubby's schedule changed for the day . Well we sat down and I was having her work on a "Cat" lap book I had put together. There was a page for her to trace the alphabet letter by letter. I asked her to tell me what letter she was writing and what sound it made, she again just started making stuff up so I yelled, she cried and now I feel like CRAP!

I took her aside and told her I was sorry and that I should never yell at her then took the girls outside to blow bubbles and scribble on the sidewalk with chalk.

I think I need to re-evaluate everything now. I honestly do not feel she is learning and I do not know what to do ! UGGGGGGG I feel like a failure and a horrible mom !

by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM
Replies (11-19):
sew4fun
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Thanks ladies. In our area the age is 5 (as of Sept 1st of the school year) she turned 5 on the 8th so she will have to be in school next year. I really think she is ready to learn, she has shown several signs including flat out asking to learn LOL . Last year was the year I felt I failed but I really do not think she was ready then. We do not use a curriculum at all. Cant afford one. I really think I am the problem! I have decided to re-evaluate how I am teaching her . I think I am going to just start from scratch. I need to find free curriculum that also does not cost alot to implement at home. She needs structure and freedom at the same time, she is also very hands on. She loves lap booking and wants to learn notebooking. I have started a notebook for her since I first posted this. I just got a 3ring binder and card stock, went to homeschoolshare.com and printed out some alphabet lapbook pages.

sew4fun
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 6:52 PM

I may try to take the rest of the week off to start over and get things ready, make new lesson plans etc... But I hate to do that . One of the reasons I feel I am the problem is I do not push them, if they are not in the mood for school ( cant sit still etc) then I cut it short, if we are not feeling well or have alot of errands to run we do not have school. We also only do 4 days a week. I think I am going to change it to 5 days but shorten the time we are in school then add time gradually.

AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 6:58 PM

I really think you are pushing too much, she is little she has 12 years to learn everything she needs to.

Quoting sew4fun:

I may try to take the rest of the week off to start over and get things ready, make new lesson plans etc... But I hate to do that . One of the reasons I feel I am the problem is I do not push them, if they are not in the mood for school ( cant sit still etc) then I cut it short, if we are not feeling well or have alot of errands to run we do not have school. We also only do 4 days a week. I think I am going to change it to 5 days but shorten the time we are in school then add time gradually.

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans and 3 Dogs
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

Danielle163
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Yes, really don't be too hard on yourself. I think, sometimes, us hs Moms are really our own toughest critics. I'm sure you are doing a wonderful job. I know some people don't like computer-tutors, but have you considered that route? Some children actually love that way of learning.

gratefulgal
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:37 PM

Maybe you could try a different approach, or like the other moms said, take a day off. Do a little less on the days "on". At this age, you can't really teach anything unless they're "with" you, so try to fit the lesson in with what they want to do-- play doh, letting them write on the board, too, free drawing, etc. They really do all learn at a different pace- one day they may know 2 letters, the next day they know 12 AND their sounds. Just keep trying and cut yourself some slack. We ALL have days like this.

Also, do you file her schoolwork at all? When I feel like that I take a trip down "memory lane" and review his papers or drawings from 3 or 6 months ago (or even last year). You can see instantly how much they have changed.

good luck, and HANG IN THERE!

Amanda

gratefulgal
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Oh, and as for a "horrible mom"-- I'm right there with you! How come it always seems like we're doing the WRONG thing? :(

sew4fun
by on Jan. 11, 2012 at 10:01 PM

This is where I am torn. Becuase I think " maybe she isnt ready" then she ask to do school, I will pull out puzzles or art and she says "no I want to learn" I tell her we are learning and she says she want to learn to read and write. We do 4 days a week but only about 2 hours a day and at least 30 to 45 mins of that is fun art stuff. Then we have breaks too . I could be pushing her I guess but I really do not push hard. If she doesnt get it we move on , then try and go back to it .

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

I really think you are pushing too much, she is little she has 12 years to learn everything she needs to.

Quoting sew4fun:

AutumnDreamer
by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Then when she wants to learn pull out the school stuff, other times teach her without her knowing.  It will relieve the pressure off you both.

Quoting sew4fun:

This is where I am torn. Becuase I think " maybe she isnt ready" then she ask to do school, I will pull out puzzles or art and she says "no I want to learn" I tell her we are learning and she says she want to learn to read and write. We do 4 days a week but only about 2 hours a day and at least 30 to 45 mins of that is fun art stuff. Then we have breaks too . I could be pushing her I guess but I really do not push hard. If she doesnt get it we move on , then try and go back to it .

Quoting AutumnDreamer:

Quoting sew4fun:

Tracy ~
Wife to 1 Engineer
Mother of 3 Humans and 3 Dogs
http://journeyofahousewife.blogspot.com

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 12:09 PM

in Kindergarten, my daughter's class used http://www.starfall.com/  which is a great site, that we ended up using again for her at home once we started homeschooling for first grade. There are worksheets and I think online games too if you're interested in taht sort of stuff.  I know there are free worksheets on there...you may have to dig around the site for them

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN