Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Getting Started

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM
  • 10 Replies

My DS is 3 yrs old. We want to start homeschooling him- but I don't know where to start. I have a 4 month old DD also. I have flash cards, I have work books that start at preschool level. I have crayons, markers, playdoh, and construction paper. I'm sure I need some child safe scissors.

Where do I start?

He can count to 20 in English. 8 in Spanish and knows his ABC's and a few colors & shapes. So we aren't starting from scratch completely.

Please help.

Also, how do I balance baby & teaching?

by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 2:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Hello! Many people like to start with circle time. It usually includes a calendar to learn the days of the week, the months, etc. Then a few songs or fingergames. Does he know the upper and lower case letters? If he doesn't look up 'letter of the week' curriculumsfor ideas. Does he know his address, his whole name, your name, his phone number? I also taught my older toddlers Grandma's name and number just in case.

Have you went over community helpers (mailman, police, firemen, nurse, etc)? Does he know 9 1 1 and stop, drop and roll?

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Welcome to the group! At that young an age it real should be all about fun & playing games to learn rather than worksheets & workbooks. Just do what you have been doing with your DD in tow. Make sure everything is fun & he will learn with out trying.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Lots of kids like to do zoo animals.

My kids liked to mix colors to make new ones, like yellow and blue make green.

Let's see, big and small, over and under, different shapes like rhombus, How does it move (fly, swim, crawl), dentists and personal hygiene.

I can't think of any more off the top of my head.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Oh, check out starfall.com. It is awesome!

MumsTheWord571
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:46 PM
He does have a gym class at My Gym once a week & does circle time & plays with other kids.

He knows his full name. Working on my name & DH's name (right now me calls me mommy *last name*. He's having a problem with our number (you have to know the area code here. There's a lot of them super close). And I hadn't thought about his address yet!! Yikes.

He does know community helpers but not 911 & stop drop & roll.

He can recognize both upper & lower case letters most of the time.

Quoting mem82:

Hello! Many people like to start with circle time. It usually includes a calendar to learn the days of the week, the months, etc. Then a few songs or fingergames. Does he know the upper and lower case letters? If he doesn't look up 'letter of the week' curriculumsfor ideas. Does he know his address, his whole name, your name, his phone number? I also taught my older toddlers Grandma's name and number just in case.

Have you went over community helpers (mailman, police, firemen, nurse, etc)? Does he know 9 1 1 and stop, drop and roll?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Cool so I've pretty much already been home schooling him?? Lol.

We go to the zoo & name the critters. We go to the museums (art, car & dinosaur) & learn.
I try to name off colors & shapes as we see them. (it's hard because I'm mildly colorblind & can't see blues & purples!).

We also have story time every day.

Quoting usmom3:

Welcome to the group! At that young an age it real should be all about fun & playing games to learn rather than worksheets & workbooks. Just do what you have been doing with your DD in tow. Make sure everything is fun & he will learn with out trying.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:50 PM
Also, on top of his gym class he has a swimming lesson once a week as well. (he's really good at swimming!).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

You sound like you are right on track. Homeschooling is so easy when you just allow it to become a lifestyle. 8)

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Yes you are! He is learning so much from just living life with you! Playing games (any kind even video games) can help him learn in a fun interactive way!

Quoting MumsTheWord571:

Cool so I've pretty much already been home schooling him?? Lol.

We go to the zoo & name the critters. We go to the museums (art, car & dinosaur) & learn.
I try to name off colors & shapes as we see them. (it's hard because I'm mildly colorblind & can't see blues & purples!).

We also have story time every day.

Quoting usmom3:

romacox
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Young children learn best while at play and real life experiences.  That is important to adjust to their natural of learning if you want them to retain their natural desire to learn for a life time.  That way the teen years will be much easier. 

Grade Level Requirements

How To Home School

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN