Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ixl vs adaptedmind (PIOG)

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM
  • 13 Replies

Does anyone pay a membership for either? Have tried both? Prefer one over the other??
I've been looking into them both. They both cost the same per month, though ixl provides a year rate where it looks like AdaptedMind is only monthly. The progress reports look different but seem to share the same info...but ixl's report is kind of hard to see in the preview. I think it may be more detailed but I can't really tell.
We finished all of our second grade curriculum for the year already, and I don't think my daughter is ready to start with third grade stuff yet, so I really just want to use one of these sites for review for her, but looking at what they offer - ixl seems to go over everything we've done + a little division, where as AdaptedMind at second grade really gets into multiplication and division. I wouldn't mind her getting more out of math since she loves it tons, but I want opinions before deciding lol
Thank you.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bugayfamilyof4
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I am with you. I have been looking into the same thing for my girls.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Sorry, I don't use either.

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Have you looked at some of the free sites that have full curriculum?

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 4:48 PM

We have used some of the free ones before.  I also don't really need full curriculum at this point, I just want to review stuff with her in a way shes not getting overly bored...and where "I" am netting setting any specific goals for her.  I also wouldn't mind the progress report part of it, and think that alone is worth the $10.00 a month.  She loves math, but struggles in some areas and I'm not quite sure how to help. I've tried teaching her everyway I know...so maybe by doing it differently she'll figure it out? She usually doesn't want my help when it comes to math either.  She'll sit and work on a problem for hours until she gets it if thats what it takes, and gets mad if I offer help. She's not like that in any other subject...just math lol

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Have you ever looked in to the books Life of Fred? From what I have been told is they are storybooks that teach math! http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/11catofbooks.html

Quoting No_Difference:

We have used some of the free ones before.  I also don't really need full curriculum at this point, I just want to review stuff with her in a way shes not getting overly bored...and where "I" am netting setting any specific goals for her.  I also wouldn't mind the progress report part of it, and think that alone is worth the $10.00 a month.  She loves math, but struggles in some areas and I'm not quite sure how to help. I've tried teaching her everyway I know...so maybe by doing it differently she'll figure it out? She usually doesn't want my help when it comes to math either.  She'll sit and work on a problem for hours until she gets it if thats what it takes, and gets mad if I offer help. She's not like that in any other subject...just math lol

Quoting usmom3:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 5:33 PM

Thank you. I will look into that a little bit more.  We're still working on her reading skills.  I know she can read...she knows she can read...but if I "assign" reading or have her read out loud, it takes forever and it becomes more of a punishment for both of us because she acts like she can't read. It drives me crazy. I have the site bookmarked for later use though :)

Quoting usmom3:

Have you ever looked in to the books Life of Fred? From what I have been told is they are storybooks that teach math! http://www.stanleyschmidt.com/FredGauss/11catofbooks.html

Quoting No_Difference:

Quoting usmom3:

usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 12, 2012 at 5:52 PM

I think you can read the books to her too! I have a friend that is using the books with her kids & only one of the kids reads on her own so my friend reads the books out loud to all of them.

Quoting No_Difference:

Thank you. I will look into that a little bit more.  We're still working on her reading skills.  I know she can read...she knows she can read...but if I "assign" reading or have her read out loud, it takes forever and it becomes more of a punishment for both of us because she acts like she can't read. It drives me crazy. I have the site bookmarked for later use though :)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 12, 2012 at 8:19 PM
Bump for someone who has used them. I have heard great things about life of Fred as well :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrspriceisright
by on Jan. 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

You know, if all you are wanting is review, you can play IXL for free.  You don't get progress reports and stuff, but I let me daughter play on there for just review sometimes.  I haven't seen adaptedmind, but I'll go look at it now!

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jan. 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

We have done the games. It's more of a review of the progress reports and if  they're as helpful as they seem. The games to me seemed to be basically the same.  I was also looking for opinions on the overall experience with the sites. My daughter enjoyed using either website for the 20 free problems or how ever many it was...and I wouldn't mind paying the $10.00 a month, I just want to know if its worth it since its basically for a progress report and the use of the algorithim that changes the program as the child needs.

Quoting mrspriceisright:

You know, if all you are wanting is review, you can play IXL for free.  You don't get progress reports and stuff, but I let me daughter play on there for just review sometimes.  I haven't seen adaptedmind, but I'll go look at it now!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)