Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you try to convert people to homescholling?

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM
  • 24 Replies

Are you a huge advocate?

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CoffeeMamaOf5
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 10:41 AM

While I'll say I am an advocate of homeschooling, I don't force my beliefs on others. I will, however, give my opinions on it, share why we love it, the benefits, etc. When one of my PSing friends shares an issue she is having with her children, their education, their behavior or whatever -- I will kindly share that she might want to consider educating at home. Once I know they are not for it and it's not something they would ever consider, I stop encouraging it. They know where to find me if they want to get started. :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jan. 15, 2012 at 11:00 AM
I do what you describ. I wouod never tell someone they SHOULD homeschool because it is a huge lifestyle change and a very personal decision.

However, I do suggest they may consider it if their child is struggling and I definitely gi ve testimonial to how it has changed our lives for the better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2theboy1994
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

I don't. I explain why WE home-school, but I never try to convince others that my way is the right way. And I'm always available to help a family who is just starting, or that need help in general. :)

TigerofMu
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:44 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't try to convert people.  I think every family has to decide what they need to do.  I am becoming more of an advocate.  As a former public school teacher, and the child of public school teachers, and a member of the National Education Association, I had a pretty pro public school background.  It took a lot for me to even think about homeschooling, but my kids were miserable and bullied by teachers and students alike.  It's not like that everywhere, but this is a very rough community.  Most of the parents are bullies, and they actually encourage their children to basically raise hell and pick on people.  I don't know if it started this way, or if they've just given up, but the school just turns a blind eye, and teachers who try to follow through and get some help with kids who cause problems, or help the victims are dismissed.

Aleshad01
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 3:12 PM
No, I know it's the best for our family but I know that it isn't for everyone.
suziejax
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Not really but when asked I do explain why I home shcool and why we love it so much :-)

bren_darlene
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:30 PM

Anytime someone gripes about school I recommend for them to home educate. I guess that gives me a door :)   Many years ago I made up some posters and placed them at Wal Mart and a couple other places.  I just put Homeschool in big letters and said if you would like to learn more to call.   I got several calls and a few people came to my home to learn even more :)  But yes, I am a huge advocate!

armygirl16
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:49 PM

No, because everyone here acts like I'm crazy when I mention I'm going to homeschool.  I tell them why and all the pro's...but I'm not going to try to convince them to homeschool.  They already think I'm crazy for wanting to homeschool in the first place.  Oregon wasn't so bad but here in Michigan no one else (at least at work) would EVER consider homeschooling and the schools are "so good here" and "what makes you qualified to teach her" Its always the same comments so I just tell them why I do it and thats it....

Boobah
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:52 PM
Not convert, but inform when asked. I can't say I ever even suggest it to someone, because most people around here are pretty "I can't wait for the kids to go to school".
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MS.TAI75
by on Jan. 16, 2012 at 7:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I do not push the issue with anybody especially working parents.  It just so happens in my family no one has been home-schooled be it was not known that that's an option other than having a public education.  Even the poor families with the mother staing at home, home-schooling was not an option. Sometimes all you know is what you are taught.  But like Oprah says "When you know better, you do better".

The only reason 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)