Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does anyone know about dysgraphia?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM
  • 11 Replies

My youngest daughter has been struggling with writing since she began school. This year I had her tested for dyslexia and the possibility of using the Barton program. Her test results came back that she had dysgraphia. Does anyone else know about this or have suggestion for working with her on writing? Her assignments take her all day if she has to write even just a few sentence. Help!!!

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 12:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jan. 18, 2012 at 8:37 AM
I do not, but hopefully someone in here has some experience with it. Bump :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

I don't know anything about it but I have a friend that daughter has Aspergers & she struggled with writing when she was young & so my friend had her daughter type on the computer in stead of writing with a pencil & it helped her get her work done with out strugglesuntil her daughter was older & had better control of her fine motor skills.

Gatwinmom
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 2:14 PM
2 moms liked this

Dysgraphia is a deficit in the way the brain processes and uses information, think "crossed wiring". The information is there in her head but it gets lost between the brain and the hand.

First thing I would recommend is to take the DX to school and get either a 504 plan or and IEP so that she will not be penalized for her slow or sloppy handwriting. My son has dysgraphia and it wasn't easy making his teachers understand what that meant but once they got it, life got so much better. Times math tests are done with flashcards and questions that require long written answers on standardized tests are dictated to a teacher or an aide.

Using a program called Interactive Metronome did more to help him then all the other programs we tried (Barton, HWOT, etc).

Good luck!

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2012 at 3:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I would check out the books at the library. Also, I bet there are national groups that have websites with lots of sources.

heatherall12
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Thank you for your input. I will look into the metronome and have requested an IEP or 504 plan but you know how they hate to really give them out unless they are needed so I am still having to go through their hoops of trying things that might work. I get so frustrated with schools sometimes when there is a child with a special need.

MedicMommy2
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

My son is dysgraphic and the school didn't do anything they were supposed to. He can write amazingly well on ready write paper with a fat pencil. I just have to remind him to slow down because when he writes as fast as his thoughts are going you can't read anything.

fromupnorth
by on Jan. 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a son that's dygraphic and much depends on age.  I also tutor a number of dysgraphic children.  My first recommendation is to get an Occupational Therapist evaluation.  Many say the OT should happen before 4th grade.  My son wasn't dx until 7th grade.  The OT helped some but not to the degree it would have earlier.  My son's dysgraphic is lessen by a keyboard but his most successful is technology is dragon for writing.  He's 17 and in early college.  The student services provide him with notes from fellow students in the class.  When he goes to take notes he can only concentrate on forming the letters not the content in the class.  If you have any specific questions let me know.

meljac
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My son has this too and it took me 3 years of fighting to get his IEP but I did it and he still struggles.  I just happened upon this post and will be checking on some of the things that were suggested here.  No matter what the school says keep trying, it will happen eventually.

fromupnorth
by on Jan. 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
There is a good yahoo group called dygraphia with lots of very experienced parents. It's been a great resource for me.
Gatwinmom
by on Jan. 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM

I highly recommend the Wrightslaw website for special education issues. These folks know their stuff!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN