Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Autism and Homeschooling

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM
  • 6 Replies

My 12 year old has autism and has done fine in school until middle school.  He is having a lot of issues and I am having issues with the teachers.  I would like to look into homeschooling but want to know what others with autistic children has experienced.  Is he better off with the special needs in the schools?  Is he better off being forced to deal with the social interactions at school?

by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
oredeb
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 5:29 PM
usmom3
by BJ on Jan. 18, 2012 at 6:27 PM

I have 2 sons with Autism. The oldest one went to PS until he was in the 6TH grade. He had problems with bully's & the school wouldn't do anything to protect him. He would beg me not to make him go. I pulled him out around spring break & he has been homeschooled ever sense. He is 18 now but I don't plan on graduating him until he is 19 (he wouldn't have graduated until than from PS because of his birthday) & possibly homeschool collage as well. My younger son is 6 & has never been to PS. I think my oldest is a much happier & confident person then he would have been had I left him in PS & I think my younger son will never have the same problems my older son had.

Jjmill5
by on Jan. 18, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I'm not sure if my son is on the spectrum or not, he's almost 5 and we just finished the evaluation and will hear something next month, but my thoughts on pulling him out of PS was that he couldn't speak well enough to tell me if someone was bothering him.  My city has a coop program for supplemental, fun stuff and I plan on utilizing that next year for socialization.  I think in this day and age you should trust your gut.

Danielle163
by on Jan. 21, 2012 at 12:55 PM

My DD is on the spectrum somewhere (we suspect mild Aspergers). Your  his mom, what do you think? I noticed you used the words "forced to deal with the social interactions at school."  Has he had positive or negative experiences at ps? I removed my DD because around 90% of the S. interaction she was having at the ps was negative. I hated to lose that positive 10%, but my DD was miserable from the bullying. She's not the same child she was B/F PS. Kids that are "different" in any way don't do well in the schools here.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Good luck!

wright1212
by on Jan. 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Seems like my son may be a bit different, he is more severe autism and functions like a 2yo, although he is 9. I kept trying to tell the school how to teach him best and how to accomodate his seizures, they didnt get it. So why teach them how, when I can do it myself. I love it and Vlog about it. He is SOOOOOOO much better off. BUT we are friends with the school and he goes for OT/ST oh and they are giving us an Ipad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)